Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 stroke outboard questions
I'm looking for expert opinions. I have a little 12 foot aluminum boat with a 50 lb thrust electric motor. I'm tired of buying batteries for it, and it takes a long time to get from point A to point B. 20+ minutes just to get from the boat ramp at Mantua to the point by the hill. I'm thinking of getting a 4 cycle outboard and wondered how big a motor I need to do the job. I'm limited somewhat on the weight because of the size of the boat and I know it depends on the load. I figure about 400 to 450 lbs with 2 people and equipment. Any replies that can tell me what kind of speed I can expect with different horsepowers, what brands are best and where to look for them would really be appreciated.
[signature]
I'm by far no expert and without knowing your hull design it is hard to say for sure but I've owned a small 12 footer and the biggest motor I had on it was a 7.5 hp. Does your boat have one of those tags on it stating the largest motor recommended for that boat? Most newer boats will have one of those Hull ID plates. As far as brand names, that totally depends on what you like. There are many good brand named motors to choose from. I've had several different brands over the years and they all ran pretty good.
[signature]
I got a five horse Briggs and Stratton I will sell you. Don't need it anymore because I bought a Mud Buddy. I had the five horse on my 12 foot flat bottom and it went plenty fast for me, you could even get it to go slow enough to troll.
[signature]
why buy a 4 stroke? with a 12 footer mpg would be the least of your worries. I would suggest evinrude 8-15 hp.
[signature]
I like the idea of B&S, you can buy parts at most NAPA stores.
[signature]
Yeah I got the motor at Sportsmans, they are pretty easy to find parts for. Evinrude, Yamaha, Johnson, Mercury....equals $$$$$$$$
[signature]
My vote is go for the four stroke, I run a 9.9hp Yamaha. Love the mileage, I can fish all summer on what my other motor burned in one trip. I'm pretty sure the 9.9 would work well on your 12'. Only draw back with my motor is its heavier than the two stroke and doesn't have a choke. Gas motors will have way more umph than your electric and you'll be pleased. My Dad ran a 20 hp Merc on a 14' aluminum and it flew, we used to pull water skiers (two skis) with it. I was skinnier then. Fun times. Good luck J
[signature]
I can feel your pain. I've got a similar electric troller, and it can get me around ok, but for getting TO where you want to fish a gas motor is a definite bonus.
My boat's so old, I've got no tag, but figure a 10 horse is comfortable. I've been through a few motors with it (crappy luck). I've got an 18hp coming from the neighbor, and not sure if I'll bust out the transom if I run it full bore! A healthy 10 put me on a nice plane, and had to slow slowly - or the backwash would wash right over the transom!

I can't say for "how fast" but definitely markedly quicker than the electric on full bore. PLUS - you basically eliminate the time limit a battery impels. But typically I'll run the gas to get where I want to go, then use my electric to putter around, troll, or position myself in a fishing spot. Have used the gas to troll a lake like Hyrum, but trolling Porcupine with downriggers - went from 8am-3pm on a fresh electric, and the slow speed there is great.
Not gonna chase any boils at Willard though!

You can find older motors on KSL, or through the group here. A 4 stroke makes the gas mess easier, but I think the motors are heavier (?). Some small motors don't run off a tank, but take the gas directly, but that also requires you keep it topped up.

Another option is you can have your transom reinforced if you know a good (cheap) welder. Had a buddy who did that, and enjoyed the results.

Just wish I had an electric start! Some motors/boats you can get fancy and rig up a steering wheel even. Depends on your ride I guess.

[inline "David at Newton.jpg"]
Check out Suzuki's new 9.9 EFI motor! You could troll all day with a 14' for a buck or two.
A little more expensive up front than an old two stroker but depending on your age and how much you fish, you will easily recoup the money over time in fuel expense and convenience/reliability.
[signature]
I have a 2 stroke 5 horse Mercury on my 14' aluminum and it is perfect in my eyes. It is fast enough that I have to throttle down on wakeless waters like Lost Creek, but is fully capable on the low end of trolling with. It absolutely sips gas as well. I do see the convenience of an electric start 4 stroke, but I have not yet been able to justify the up front cost of one based on the limited times I am able to get out.
[signature]
I'd get a used 5-10HP two stroke from KSL.com.

The gas savings for engines that small is really hard to ever justify the cost difference.
[signature]
It is only worth it if you use it alot.
Sounds like you have a great set up for your needs.
[signature]
I think a 25 HP would really cut down on your run time and get you to the fishing spot [Smile] I used to run a 15 hp on a 16 foot V bottom and it would come up and plane with 3 people in it. I wouldn`t go smaller than a 9.9. If you ever buy a bigger boat it will also work on it.. Good luck... Fishon
[signature]
I have an 8 hp mercury 4 stroke that is my trolling motor on a 17.5 foot smokercaft. It moves me pretty well. I also have the electric start cuz I am gettin too old to be yankin on ropes to get a motor started. I dont think you need to be any bigger than that for the size/weight of your boat.
[signature]
Here's a 14 footer with a 15hp 2 stroke,a 9.9 or 6 hp 2 stroke on your boat would be sweet..2 strokes will last longer than 4 strokes
[signature]
I have an older sea nymph 12 foot and the plate on mine says 15 Hp Max. That being said I have a 9.9 now and would not mind going to a 15 some day. I would also like to go with one of the newer motors as to how quiet they are.
[signature]