Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterfowling near Hagerman?
Hey folks,

My father in law has a cabin reserved for us near Hagermen for Thanksgiving, anybody have any idea what kind of duck or goose opportunities there are in the area?

Looking on google maps, I can see billingsley Creek WMA and Hagerman WMA in the area besides the snake river. Anybody been on these?
[signature]
Hagerman WMA is no Waterfowl hunting. billingsley Creek WMA, has hunting but can be difficult. Access is open but it is a marsh and with a marsh you have areas that are easy to get to and others that are not. There used to be a lot of guys that hunted it. Hunting the river will take a boat in most places. Do you have a dog? if you have a good and I mean good dog PM me and I will give you a couple more places. Ron
[signature]
Unfortunately I do not have a dog, but I do have young legs to get me into the marsh and I could drag a duck boat up there if there was a reason to.

Thanks for the reply Ron
[signature]
Billingsley actually looks like a decent walk in spot and with it surrounded by agriculture I bet it could hold a good number of birds if there was minimal pressure.

Maybe I'll have to throw in my layout blind and some honker dekes...
[signature]
It used to be pounded by hunters. The Hagerman WMA will pull most of the birds in from all over. A few will be there in BCWMA but not having a dog will hurt your chances at finding the birds after they are down. You will need to kill them DEAD in the air. If they hit the ground head up they will be gone in the cattails.
[signature]
It's heavily hunted, by both local and out of staters(Utah), weekends are not really that good, a lot of clubs with flooded corn, pray for weather and hunt weekdays and you will be good, scout also, take a morning and watch the birds, you will find out what areas too go and the ones too stay away from, no dog hurts, maybe look on some forums and find somebody that would be willing too take you out...
Matt
[signature]
bummer. This is not a hardcore hunting trip where I've got time to do it right. Maybe I'll throw in a dozen dekes and go see what it looks like that weekend anyway.

Thanks for the Info!
[signature]
also remember the hagerman area has a goose closure zone, so check the regs out, it is good hunting there, ton of ducks, that's why there are a bunch of hunter's in that area, my suggestion is too check out the outer area's that about 20-30 min. away from hagerman, good luck,
Matt
[signature]
Hunting on Billingsly Creek(aka the swamp) is best when there is frigid weather cold enough to freeze up some of the ponds at the refuge. If you don't have a good dog it will not be fun for you at the swamp since the cat tails and weeds are super thick and finding a down duck would be next to impossible. be careful if you wade the creek, there are some deep holes.
[signature]