Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double Report - Flaming Gorge and Bear Lake
I managed to sneak out to Flaming Gorge for a couple of days. I wasn't able to fish the WY end, since I was down near the dam. I launched at Mustang Ridge both days (Wed and Thurs). I was surprised how high the water is compared to even last year. It is dang near full pool. The first day I didn't launch until about 5pm. I trolled for kokes from Mustang all the way to the damn and up to Spring Creek marina. I only marked a few fish and caught only one. Very slow. So the next morning I launched at 5am in the dark and headed up lake to Jarvies. I was fishing by 5:30 and had my first koke in the boat by 5:45. I had landed a limit of kokes by 6:30, but let a lot go. I ended up with 2 nice fish about 3-3.5 lbs out in front of Jarvies. I then moved up to Skull Creek an finished my 3 fish limit with yet another nice koke. I tried a lot of different lures. I had my best luck on a pink splatter RMT dodger and a glow-in-the-dark squid. I also caught several fish on a pink spoon behind a dodger. Fish were down about 55'-72' and I was trolling about 1.5-1.8 mph. I also landed on small laker and a nice rainbow.

I fished Bear Lake on Saturday morning from 7am to 10am. I was trolling off Rainbow Cove towards North Eden and then back. I wanted to troll deep since there were a lot of cutthroat netted by the UDWR in deep water last week. Well the cutthroat were "on". I started catching fish in 105' of water and even caught fish out to 164'. I was using both flatfish and jointed Rapalas and caught fish on both. I'm glad I had a "Laker Saver" since I had to let all but one fish down on it since they were coming up from so deep. I did not land any lakers, however, my friend who guides at Bear Lake said he was catching lakers in 80-85' in the same general area. I specifically wanted to fish in water deeper than most anglers ever fish. By the way, all fish were within 5' of the bottom. My speed was 1.6-1.9 mph.
[signature]
Doubled your pleasure, doubled your fun! Nice work.[fishon]
[signature]
So you were fishing at 105ftnight of water only 5fthave up catching cutty's, wow i didnt think they hung out that deep! Thanks for the report i learn something new every day lol. Just curious what color at the bear worked the best?
[signature]
Wow Scott, I've never caught a fish that deep trolling out here. I think I've gone to 90' down but that's about it. Guess I'm better at jigging though. I was wondering where the cutts go. I usually start getting mostly lakers from now until October, guess I'll just look deeper.

Thanks for the info.
[signature]
Great report, Thanks - sounds like in the end everything worked out well. Congrats. That was some deep lake fishing!

Looking forward to our next trip out. Not sure yet where/when that will be though.
[signature]
man i'd need some longer downrigger cables to get those guys! thats some good fishin'
[signature]
What is a laker saver?
[signature]
Thanks for the report Scott,

That is SERIOUSLY deep. WOW! Good on ya for doing the work to find them. My manual riggers would make that a hard day fishing.

I'm thinking whitefish and eggs forget the cuts and macks's. Give me a call come Turkey day so we can get together again?
[signature]
[url "http://www.lakersaver.com/"]http://www.lakersaver.com/[/url]
[signature]
[quote WiperMac][url "http://www.lakersaver.com/"]http://www.lakersaver.com/[/url][/quote]

and there you have it. A weight to take 'em back down, then release. Some pop- em first.

Wow - as said some deep sea fishing there! I've got 200ft on my riggers, think I'd be well glad for the electics if I was exercising more than 100ft of it!

Great time on the Gorge - I HAVE to try that water some day. Might make some BL trips before it gets too cold this year... Thanks for the inspiration!

Maybe we'll get a good freeze this year! Time will tell.