Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Nymphs in Stillwater
These past two years I have really been into stillwater fly fishing, and have noticed that I often do well with nymphs. Even though this is going on, I still feel like I'm not sure I know exactly what I'm doing right. Usually when I fish the nymph I throw it out (with out any extra weight) on fast sinking line. Then I actually let it sit. It almost feels like glorified bait fishing. My question to everyone is how do you fish nymphs in stillwater. My 3 main questions are

1. Do you ever put action into your nymph and strip it in?
2. When would I know when I need to change the size?
3. Does the life span of a nymph differ in lakes compared to rivers?

Answers to these questions and any other info about nymph fishing in lakes would be great
[signature]
[quote happybob91]These past two years I have really been into stillwater fly fishing, and have noticed that I often do well with nymphs. Even though this is going on, I still feel like I'm not sure I know exactly what I'm doing right. Usually when I fish the nymph I throw it out (with out any extra weight) on fast sinking line. Then I actually let it sit. It almost feels like glorified bait fishing. My question to everyone is how do you fish nymphs in stillwater. My 3 main questions are

1. Do you ever put action into your nymph and strip it in?
2. When would I know when I need to change the size?
3. Does the life span of a nymph differ in lakes compared to rivers?

Answers to these questions and any other info about nymph fishing in lakes would be great[/quote]

I can only say what I prefer. Yes I absolutely put action into the nymph UNLESS, I am deep nymphing. Then I leave it suspended off the bottom via floating line, long leader, indicator/bobber, or fast sinking line.
As for movement, vary stripping speeds till you find what works. As for casting it out and waiting, again absolutely. Try counting down. When you find what zone they are in you will have a reference as to how long to leave it sit before retrieving.
Try strip and pauses, steady strip, figure 8s.
Fly size, can be a guessing game. Try to match the hatch, or just experiment. I like #12 on stillwater. I tend to use larger nymphs on stillwater than I do rivers. Maybe because of water clarity, or the fact that stillwater fish have longer to look at it.

I have no idea on life span, but I wouldn't think that body of water moving or not could make a difference.
I think You will get hatches more often on moving water.
[signature]