Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avery burned by F&G again
Here is a copy of a email I just sent F&G.

Left over controlled youth hunt tags

OK we followed the rules unlike so many and my 9 year old put in for a 2nd chance draw and didn't draw. There was an area that had 5 tags leftover that we thought we would try to buy today. Figured my best bet was to go to the main F&G office. I was there about a half hour before they went on sale and was like the 6th guy in line. Anyway when I get to the counter the lady would not sell him a tag because he was not 10 yet. Said he needed to be 10 to buy a tag but if he had drawn it then they would sell it to him. Huh? I come home and got online and had no problems getting him a leftover tag if we wanted it. I actually didn't buy it as the one we wanted had sold out but I just wanted to see if we could have got him one. My question is: Was the rude lady at the counter right or is Active Network selling illegal tags?

Rod

We'll see if I get a response.
[signature]
FAG is really having a bad run. How would you have been any different than those they already issued earlier to those who applied illegally. The whole thing really burns me![mad]
[signature]
You would think they would have fixed the issue after the blowback they got the first time around.
[signature]
Thats to bad for Avery, hopefuly he can get over the sour taste and have better luck in the future.
[signature]
That's a bad deal, you may want too contact the Directer of the F&G, there communication isn't the greatest, the F&G made it right in the situation I was in, that one act pretty much erased my bad feelings toward the F&G, talk too Kim at the Nampa office, she is one of those that seem too care.
Matt
[signature]
Here is the update. Ben Studer sent me a email instructing me to call the Communications Bureau Chief Mike Keckler which I did. Mike got Gregg ?? who is the director of tag and licenses to join in on a conference call with me. So after going over the story again the conclusion was that the lady at the counter was incorrect and she should have sold Avery the leftover deer tag. We can’t buy Avery a general deer or elk tag until he turns 10 but as I suspected the controlled tags can be sold to a 9 year old. They did lecture me on the fact that if a 9 year old has a tag they can’t hunt until the season is open and they turn 10. I explained to them that that is no different than the deer tag that is in my wallet now. Just because I got a deer tag doesn’t mean that I can go shoot a deer tomorrow and I must wait for the seasons to open. They said they have already got some calls from some irate people that are pissed that their 9 year old can’t hunt until they turn 10 even though they got a tag. I’m guessing these are the same people that didn’t bother reading the rules and put their 9 year old in for the first round of the controlled hunt draws. Anyway I was hoping they might cough up a tag for him but all we got was a “sorry for the screw up”….. (by the way we weren’t asking for much just a youth doe tag down at our cabin)

We had some small talk about all the problems they had this year with controlled hunt tags. I explained that we had followed the rules and felt like in the end it was us and the others that also followed the rules that got burned. They asked me if they rules were written clear enough that I was able understand the process. My reply was a absolute yes. Anyone that took the time to read the rules should have been able to understand them. They both laughed and said that they were glad to hear that and they wished others would pay more attention to the regs. My gut feeling from their response made me believe they were not happy with the directors remedy for solving the issue.

So while I had these guys on the phone I had to ask another question. That had to do with elk zones that have a capped number of tags available. I usually hunt such a zone but because Avery will be hunting this year I switch zones this one time. If we had to wait for Avery to turn 10 before buying such a tag they would be sold out so I asked them how they are dealing with that. They said they are dealing with those case by case. They said if anyone is in that circumstance to go to a regional or the main F&G office and they will work with you. So if anyone has a 9 year old that will be turning 10 by hunting season and you need to get them a capped elk tag before they are gone you’d better be getting down to the nearest F&G office.

Happy hunting season!

Rod
[signature]
Well, at least your following the rules, unlike most people and obviously some of the F&G employees need too read them also, sorry for your bad experience, those are getting far more reacurring than they should.
Matt
[signature]