Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four days at Powell
What a great time we had at Powell this last four days, we got 5 kinds of fish of all sizes..
Let me give you a run down on what seemed to work on what..
First let me start with Blue gill, biggest at 1.4 lb.. They way along any steep wall and would come out under the boat and try to take about any lure of small size or a big fat worm..We could catch them any time we tried..
Then the fish that gave us the most trouble was the MANY boils of Stripers we found from Bull Frog up to Good hope bay and to the mud line above..Have not seen that many shad sense the early 80's every place I looked you could see them..
The Stripers was hard to get close to in the boils, any boat motor noise would put them down, and even if you had your fish finder on it seemed to run them off..
Top water got a few but the best lure was a swim bait by far run on a 1/2 oz head at 3' to 5' as fast as you could reel and keep it down and hang on they hit like a train.. I did get two that was skin and bone but all the rest was fat as pigs the biggest I got to the boat was 8.5lb most looked to be around 4 to 5 lb..

The bass LM an SM was hard to get at first but it was depth that was the key, the bigger ones was at 15' to 35' deep and on points..If you fished in less depth of water you got smaller fish..
I only got a few pictures cause the fish was biting so good to take more and as many trips as I take its hard to stop fishing to take more..
I got only one walleye and it was only 12" long.. And I did snag a few shad when using a crank or jerkbaits .

In one of the pictures I tried to get the shad, and my dog would point the stripers or try to hold them down..
And as you can see in other pictures the boats or lack of them at first day or two..

.[inline P8290011.JPG]
[signature]
Looks like a great trip Cliff. Thanks for posting.
[signature]
Thanks for your report Cliff. That's what makes Powell so fun, you can fish for several species on one trip. It's almost time for me to head down, after it cools down a bit and the crowds thin even more. It's one of my favorite places in the world in the fall. Thanks again for reminding me, I'm all jazzed up now [Wink]
[signature]
Nice report and picks. Always like to hear about some good Lake Powell fishing!

Also, great that you found some Bluegill. We used to target them for our fish fry on the houseboat, but the last few years they have been scarce, at least for us.

Tight lines.
[signature]
Great report! What are the crusty things on the rocks?
[signature]
German wirehair pointing Griffon ??
Does not matter if its a fish or a chukar.. going on point.
nice pictures. hope to fish it someday.
[signature]
I was told once but I'm not sure, but they are some of the biggest I have seen at water level ..
[signature]
Wirehair, and for sure you need to see and fish Powell at least 1,000,000,000,000 times in ones life..[Wink]
[signature]
no boat issues? No more running in reverse when using forward throttle?

Thanks for sharing. Nice pictures.
[signature]
I will be there this Saturday - Wednesday - "Boys Trip", so I get a lot of fishing time, can't wait.
[signature]