Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What about leader size?
Bought myself my first fly rod, Orvis Encounter 9 foot, #5.

I understand that I have to use a 5 weight fly line, but what about leaders? Do I have to stay within a certain size range?

Thanks
Harry
[signature]
I would go with a 9 foot 5x or 6x leader for a 5 weight.
[signature]
A lot depends on what kind of fish your after and whether your stream fishing or lake fishing. If your fishing for trout in a stream and using nymphs, you only need a 7 1/2' leader in 3-4X. If your fishing with dry flies then the leader suggested will work. If you are just learning to fly fish, which it sounds like you are, the heavier leader will save you some flies.[Smile]
[signature]
I agree with a 7' to 7'6" leader in a 3X or 4X AND buy some tippet material. Get Tippet in 3X to 5X. Immediately attach 12" to 24" of tippet to leader. This allows you to keep the taper of leader for a long time but be able to change out flies several times. When you get to the knot that you made tying tippet to leader, just add more tippet and repeat.[Smile]
Eventually try Furled leaders. All you need is one [Wink]
[signature]
Thanks all.

I'm doing google searches about leader and tippet. I think my outfit came with a 5X or 4X tippet. I've lost a lot of flies so far, I think due to my clinch knot slipping with the Gink floatant on the line. (Just change to Davy Knot.)

Since I lost all of the thin tippet part of the line, I put a perfection loop on the end of the leader. I then put on some 10lb. with a loop, some 6lb. with surgeons knot, and lastly 2lb tippet using a loop to the 6lb. so that I can just add 2lb. when needed. My #12 and 14 flies are landing better than the original tippet, but I think my casting has improved.

So far, from reading on the net, the size leader and tippet mainly depends on the size fly and getting it to turn over properly. I haven't finished reading the stuff that I've found.

[/b]Do you folks think that with a WF5F line I am fairly well limited to a certain range of 'X' leader? Or does it depend more on the size fly and my casting skill?[/b]

I guess I should say that for right now, I'm practicing catching small fish, but I want to fish for largemouth and smallmouth in lakes and streams.

I've order a package of streamers and soon going out to try a stream for smallmouths. I've only been spinfishing in moving water a few times about 7 years ago. When I get the flies, I'll have to look at the size of the hooks and buy or make a leader to match the streamers.

Flygoddess, thanks for the tip on Furled leaders, they look interesting.
[signature]
The leader does depend on the fly but also the rod weight. In other words, I can throw streamers with my 2 wt. but I won't use 10lb leader on it.

I have made leaders for several years now. I found doing loop connections in the leader its self caused hinging. Little less control of the fly for me.
I connect all tippet material using a blood knot or in the field always use a Surgeon's knot. Triple Surgeon's knot if I am connecting a drop in the tippet size (ex: leader is a 4X and I attach 6X tippet)
I also prefer to attach the fly with a Surgeon's Loop (as small as possible). This way I am able to use much larger Tippet size on smaller flies but still keep movement. I use a 6X on a #32 fly.
On most rivers and stillwaters here I prefer 4X (6lb) for all my fishing, with occasionally a 5X on #22's. I will also fish big articulated flies with this.
BUT, I also use only fluorocarbon because it will be a smaller diameter with same strength as mono.
[signature]
Thanks flygoddess,

So, it sounds like I am limited to a certain range of 'X' leader. I think my 'already setup outfit' came with about a 5X tapered leader. I'll get myself a 4X and 6X and see how well I can do with them. If that works out, I can try other sizes.

Thanks also for your other tips. I have noticed a few minor aggravations with my loops. I hope to lessen them by learning to tie them smaller. Likely though, I will probably have to change to other kinds of knots as you have suggested.
[signature]