Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Lowell x-Doe
I was lucky enough to draw the tag for the Oct 10 opening and had a question about the rules. It says I have to use a tree stand or platform, but doesn't say anything about a height requirement. Though it does say I can't peg into the trees when getting set to climb up...any suggestions or Info on a good set up? Would a 6' ladder to a stand be enough? I'm new to archery but not a bad shot. I just don't know much about the equipment required for this kind of stuff. I have a stand I'm borrowing but am also wondering if a platform as my second location would be something I could just make? I have to haul anything in by hand or cart.
Thanks for any help! I'd really appreciate it.
[signature]
You have three options to go with here. If you already have hang on tree stands get climbing sticks. If you already have a hang on stand or two this will be the cheapest route. They are not expensive and will get you 20ft in the air. Which is the height I prefer. If you don't have hangers yet it will be more expensive. Stealth is awesome with these setups. In and out with silence. Mobility is not the worst but still not fun.

Your next option is a ladder stand. Considered the safest way to hunt from a tree. They can be a little spendy but that's not the biggest draw back. Setting them up can be challenging and I don't advise anyone to even attempt it by them selves. They are usually priced ok and decently comfortable. Once they are up that are to hard to move around a bunch.

The next option is a climbing stand. The benefits are mobility and comfort. You can move it any where you want at any time you want, you can also climb as high or low as you would like. I prefer high to keep less scent from reaching ground level. The Comfort in some of these things is amazing. some of them are like sitting in a lazy boy 20ft in the air. Sometimes I sleep in mine when I should be hunting. The draw backs are price, weight and noise. They can range anywhere from $100 to $700 dollars but I strongly believe you get what you pay for with climbing stands. The weight is heavy on most made from steel (13lb-17lb)you can cut that by buying aluminum but they are more expensive. They are also noisy going up the tree making a stealthy entrance and exit impossible.

Check out ebay for deals and constantly payroll craigslist. I have bought a bunch of stands off both. Hope this info helps you.
[signature]
Congrats on your draw. I am sure you will figure out your tree stand, I prefer hang on stands. for their mobility. I also take two ratchet cargo strap along to tighten it up because the ones I have used do move if you don't tighten them up. Since you are new to archery, you must shoot from the elevation you plan on hunting. Growing up in WI, I did a lot of tree stand hunting and sat 12 feet high and 16 feet high. Didn't seem to matter to the deer. If I made noise they looked up. My first hunt ever I was at the height my brother could push me up with a climber stand. I had two does walk past me and I could have touched them with an arrow in my hand and they never knew I was there.

I do want to emphasize you need to shoot from elevation so you know where your arrow is hitting at the distances you feel confident. Your arrow will be traveling down so you need to hit the deer higher than if you were on the ground.

Also, if you haven't shot your broadheads, please shoot them to ensure they are flying like your field points. I see shooters at the range now trying to figure out why they don't, and they plan on hunting deer or elk without proper set up equipment. All they are going to do is wound the animal. We owe it to them to make clean quick kills.

Good luck on you hunt.
[signature]
Thanks for the helpSmile this definitely puts me on the right track! I got a nice big tree at home I can practice set up and shots from!
[signature]