Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time float tuber!
Hey Ya'll! just bought my first float tube from a neighbor and i wanted to talk about equipment needed and highly recommended for a first timer as well as techniques used with float tubes. My neighbor gave me some diving flippers insisting theyre much easier to use. also what type of chest waders would you all recommend? i fish northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado spring april through october?[fishon]
[signature]
Maybe try neoprene like Hodgman at first. Price is very decent, plus could be very nice in Co.
[signature]
but wouldnt the neoprene be too toasty for the summer?
[signature]
Yes, but it depends on your budget. Neo can be $39 for a good pair, Breathables $130. You are in the water.
Don't get the skin tight ones[Smile]
[signature]
How deep is the water? Lake, pond, river? Practice inflation sequence and packing the pockets before. Also practice propulsion and turns before your trip. Practice with an experienced tuber on a windy day if possible.
Materials to consider:
- rod holder/tether, because you need to have some secure place for your rod while moving. Not cool if rod drops into the water, especially if it is deep.
-inflation system/patches of some kind even if you know there are no leaks, for adding air due to cold water effects, possible transport/on site punctures. Not cool to arrive at destination to discover a hole and have to cancel trip. I use a home made mouth inflation tube.
-Hat and sun clothes if you want to avoid the hassle to keep applying sunscreen because of sweat and getting wet. Scented sunscreen may attract bugs, honeybees, etc.
-PFD for water sections over 3', I like the compact inflatable type.
-water shoes with good traction if you will have wading sections.
-Back straps for tube if you will have long sections to carry on foot.
-Tiny first aid kit and meds you might need.

Hope this helps.

PM

[quote BamBam75]Hey Ya'll! just bought my first float tube from a neighbor and i wanted to talk about equipment needed and highly recommended for a first timer as well as techniques used with float tubes. My neighbor gave me some diving flippers insisting theyre much easier to use. also what type of chest waders would you all recommend? i fish northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado spring april through october?[Image: fish-on.gif][/quote]
[signature]
Max depths from 15'- 60'. Lakes and smaller resvoirs. Mostly trout. I've been reading about slow trolling flies and small spinners but wasn't sure if the actual flies used in this technique.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Welcome aboard...and good luck. Don't try to learn it all on the first trip. Pick a lake nearby that you already know a bit. Then get out in your tube and learn to move around with it. Once you are comfortable in the tube you can concentrate better on fishing.

Without knowing the specific lake and the ecology of it...fish species, forage, etc...it is difficult to make recommendations for lures and flies. But generally some wets, nymphs and small streamers in blacks, brown, greens and white are a good place to start. Check in with local fly shops for closer recommendations.

In your part of the country neoprenes will work most of the year. During the warmest months of summer you can probably skip the waders and fish with cutoffs and tennis shoes. Even when the water is above 65 degrees you can simply wear one layer of light clothing to prevent chafing and you will be comfortable. Then add layers as the water cools down in the fall.

If you get to the point you are going out more than once a week throughout most of the year you can add a pair of lightweight waders for the warmer months...and those will extend into the cooler months with another layer underneath. Gives you more flexibility but no need to spend more than necessary until you are convinced you will be getting your money's worth.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Slow trolling flies works great. You just have to get in front of the fish. So cast out about as much line as you can handle and kick backwards for one to three minutes then strip in your fly/ies. Change directions and repeat one to three times then change flies if you din't get any hits.
[signature]
[quote BamBam75]Max depths from 15'- 60'. Lakes and smaller resvoirs. Mostly trout. I've been reading about slow trolling flies and small spinners but wasn't sure if the actual flies used in this technique.[/quote]

Woolly Buggers. Different colors. Try Olive, Black, Brown, White, Yellow, Purple.
Also Mohair Leeches.
[signature]