Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stream fishing question
While I'm aware that lake fishing is generally best at dawn and dusk, a forest preserve person once told me that stream fishing is different from lake fishing in that stream fish are generally active throughout the day.

What do you folks think?

Thanks
Harry
[signature]
[#008000]My preference are streams, creeks or even brooks. Doesn't matter to me what time of day it is, just so long as there is some cover of trees or other tall foliage. Gives the fish a false sense of security.[/#008000]
[signature]
I guess I'll add a little to my own question.

I've fished still water for many years, but almost nothing in moving water.

Still water fishing has a lot of ups and downs as to when the fish might be biting. Usually though, if you are persistent, you can catch something. But not always. Still water can change almost instantly from nothing for hours to hardly being able to keep them out of the boat.

As I mentioned a forest preserve person once told me that stream fishing is generally more consistent than still water fishing. In the past week I've watched some fly fishing video's and a couple of people mentioned basically the same thing. One did say the morning and evening is generally the best, but moving water fish are often active throughout the day.
[signature]
In the high mountain streams you often need to wait until 10AM for dry fly action or even later in September and October simply because the water is so cold. A couple degrees warmer later in the day can really make a difference.

Windriver
[signature]