Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DWR Possession Recommendation
It is Sad that some people just don't get it.
[signature]
Right?
[signature]
[quote FishMcFisherson]Ah, so I'll only be able to keep 50 bluegill, 30 cisco, 24 bullhead, 8 channel cats, 50 crappie, 6 large/small mouth, 6 pike, 1 tiger musky, 10 sacramento perch, 10 walleye, 10 whitefish, 6 wiper, and 50 perch every single day, regardless if I eat them or not? I think my club freezer will be just fine.[/quote]
I say we all put in $5 and the first person who can do the above mentioned keeps it all
[signature]
I could be wrong, but I believe under current law, with the donation card - you can catch a limit, go over to George's house, and leave those fish with him, then go back and fish again. Collect more and take them to Mary Sue Margaret. Then return to fish. So eliminating the notion that if I have 4 rainbow trout in my freezer, I'm not allowed to hit the river and bring home a few browns to add to a round on the smoker come Friday.

The increased limit of 12 Kokes at the Pig I believe has helped to see an increase in the size of fish, but (judging more by the marks on the finder than fish on my hook) there were a lot of catchable fish in the lake.

I would not care to see catfish populations decimated, but they also seem to be pretty prolific and good at recruitment, even in hard times.

Now if we could just increase the bag limit on Carp enough, and encourage anglers to take more from the water - might be getting somewhere![:p]

Bob - what does it take to get in your Xmas gift circle? [cool]
Really?
[signature]
"Now if we could just increase the bag limit on Carp enough, and encourage anglers to take more from the water - might be getting somewhere"

[#0000FF]Hey, this is Utah. In order to get the fish killers more stimulated to harvest carp we have to make them illegal to keep...or at least put a one fish possession limit and/or a restrictive slot on them.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]I could be wrong, but I believe under current law, with the donation card - you can catch a limit, go over to George's house, and leave those fish with him, then go back and fish again. Collect more and take them to Mary Sue Margaret. Then return to fish.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Nope - you can't do that. You can only catch and keep ONE limit of fish per day legally no matter how you dispose of them. Unless, of course, you're one of those folks for which the rules don't apply. [cool][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]We can discuss the xmas list later. [Wink][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Rocky, Dale, et al,[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I'm not dissing him at all, but if you look at FishMcFisherman,s profile you will discover he is most likely in his early 20s (judging from the pictures of him there) and thus lacks any real volume of worldly wisdom. So trying to convince him that his views aren't of the larger picture of fishing regulations and their impact on the vast majority of average, law abiding fishermen and women is going to be an uphill battle at best. Continue to try if you must, but I think it is a lost cause.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Life is good.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I agree, Bob. When a person's argument devolves into reductio ad absurdum he has already lost all credibility.

I'll end with once again offering kudos to the DWR for attempting rational change in Utah's often Byzantine wildlife laws.
[signature]
This could go on for days if they say take a few take a few nothing wrong with a good fish dinner once in a while.
[signature]
And judging by dubob's signature, you can most certainly collect that he is past senile and is losing more and more of his worldly wisdom every day.[Image: happy.gif] (just kidding)

Look, I understand that the vast majority of folk are law abiding citizens. I'm not trying to dispute that in any way shape or form. What I'm saying is that you will be able keep way more fish than you really need to under this new law AND still be a law abiding citizen. If there is already a problem with "happy harvesting", I don't see how legalizing it will help the problem. The people that already do it, will continue to do so. And now more law abiding citizens will be in on the action as well.

I have a legitimate concern that many large non-trout species are going to be over harvested. I understand that thinning out a bunch of the smaller fish will help bigger fish to prosper, but there are few size restrictions on non-trout species.

Finally... this is just an idea. Until it is proven affective, us arguing over whether it will work or not is pointless. I at least had the decency to admit that I'll be happy to be wrong. Everyone else is just spouting off their opinions as facts and attacking my credibility because I'm a younger person. Look, I'm sure the dwr has made mistakes in the past. Just because they have scientists on their side does not mean that every single thing that they do is going to be the right decision.

Any who, I do enjoy a spirited debate, and respect all of your opinions. I hope that in a couple of years I am catching larger fish.[Smile]
[signature]
That's why there is a list. Way better than having little or no knowledge when you buy it in the store.
[signature]
What new law?
What has changed?
[signature]
get a clue hicks
[signature]
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

But, under current regulations (to my understanding, feel free to correct me if I am wrong), you are only legally able to possess a single daily limit, whether it be on your person, or at home.

Under this new law, you will be able to keep as many fish at home as you feel like. You could go and catch a limit of fish every single day and just go throw it in your freezer, whether you eat it or not. You could go to Utah Lake to catch and keep 50 bluegill, 24 mud cats (good riddance), 8 channel cats, 50 crappie, 6 bass, 10 walleye, and 50 perch every single day, take them home and put them in your freezer, come back the next day and do the same thing over again. And so on, and so on. That is 198 fish that every single Utah License holder could legally catch and keep from Utah Lake every single day of the year, all while still be a law abiding citizen in the process. Is this correct?
[signature]
The only change that I am aware of is the one that allows 2 daily limits at your home.
That is the way it used to be not so long ago. Where do you read that you can keep all the fish that you want with no regard to daily bag limits?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"] [/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][quote zman2][font "Arial"][#000000] get a clue hicks[/#000000][/font][/quote]I have plenty of clues at my disposal; unfortunately, none of them lead to any idea about what you are talking about. If you have a point to make then make it in such a manner that doesn't elicit editing by a moderator. Otherwise you should just leave the discussion to people capable of rational thought and civil discourse.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Wormandbobber posted some excerpts that were directly pointed at Cliff from an article published on the Bass Resource website. And just in case you didn’t bother to check out that article, it was written by Dr. Mike S. Allen, Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, The University of Florida. And since just about everybody on BFT knows Cliff doesn’t believe keeping any bass at all will help Utah’s bass fishery, I thought it appropriate to re-iterate one of the excerpts that contradicts Cliff’s philosophy.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Please, if you would be so kind, remind me once again who it is that doesn’t have a clue.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[quote FishMcFisherson]But, under current regulations (to my understanding, feel free to correct me if I am wrong), you are only legally able to possess a single daily limit, whether it be on your person, or at home.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Starting in 2014, the possession limit became twice the daily limit at most fishing waters in Utah. For details, see the regulation on page 19.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Starting Jan. 1, in addition to one legal daily limit of fish, you may also possess one additional limit of fish as long as those fish meet all of the following requirements;[/#800000][/font]
[ul][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font][li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]They were caught on a previous day.[/#800000][/font][/li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font][li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]They have been cleaned and gutted (entrails removed).[/#800000][/font][/li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font][li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]They are a legal species and limit for the waterbody where you were fishing.[/#800000][/font][/li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font][/ul][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The above rule applies to most waterbodies, where you may have a maximum of two daily limits in your possession at any one time. The only exceptions to this rule are at Strawberry Reservoir and Flaming Gorge, where you may have only one daily limit in your possession.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Consider yourself corrected. [Wink][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]And for Dale: currently, this new, 2014 rule applies to your permanent residence as well. A proposal will be discussed at the RACs this Fall to remove the possession limit at your permanent residence beginning in 2015 for all game fish excluding trout.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thats nice to hear you help them out, BUT if you read what I said you will see I said the ones I have seen.. Meaning I have not seen them all but the numbers of fish SM bass over 12" are down and the ones over 17" are all but gone..
[signature]
FYI ??
Who is talking about black bass????
I was talking about SM bass..
[signature]