Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation report 9/4
Two of us decided to head over to Starvation today to see if I could find some perch and eyes. On the water at 8:00a and departed at 2:00p. Managed to pick up 3 smaller walleye (2 in Salatarus and 1 in Rabbit Gulch). Caught the eyes on bottom bouncers with a small purple and pearl spinner and half of night crawler. Eyes were caught in 15' of water. No perches to be found. Rainbows were reasonably aggressive, actually made a pest of themselves when we were after eyes. We ran two 30' jet divers with red flasher, white squid, and half crawler in addition to the two bottom bouncers. Boated 11 and released all but two that didn't recover. Most bows were taken in 30 to 40' of water and hit like a freight train. All were same size, about 2 pounds and fat and sassy.
Water temp 64 F, light wind and a few high clouds. Checked out both ends of the lake and surprisingly nothing caught or seen on sonar from the bridge to the Strawberry inlet. Lots and lots of gas bubbles that I'm thinking must be the result of fracting in the area. Water at bridge was murky whereas was very clear in Salatarus. All in all, it was a very nice day with good weather and a good fishing companion. Can't ask for much more. Good fishin everyone. Sorry no pics ... fishing buddy dropped cell phone in lake. Trueblue
[signature]
Your friend might want to buy a case with a neck collar on his next phone.
[signature]
Sounds like a good day was had. Thanks for the detailed report.
[signature]
I had about the same luck but all my fish came from the Strawberry side of the bridge. 3 eyes, 2 perch, 1 brown, grundle of little bass and bows if you wanted to catch them. There's always bubbles coming out of the muddy bottom down that way. Fracking is way too fracking deep to be causing gas bubbles on the surface. For now, at least.
[signature]
"Fracking is way too fracking deep to be causing gas bubbles on the surface."

[#0000FF]Must be the fracking carp...carp "crepitations". Too much fiber in their diet.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Flatulent fish? Ye gods, don't tell AlGore!
[signature]
[laugh]Where's the "like" button when you need one?
Good one, RR.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]Flatulent fish? Ye gods, don't tell AlGore![/quote]

[#0000FF]Actually, Al Gore invented a fishing lure by that name. But due to printing space limitations on the package they shortened it to "Flat Fish".[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Al Gore invented a fishing lure?

Was it his sole success? A fluke? He has certainly floundered around in everything else.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][quote RockyRaab]Flatulent fish? Ye gods, don't tell AlGore![/quote]

[#0000ff]Actually, Al Gore invented a fishing lure by that name. But due to printing space limitations on the package they shortened it to "Flat Fish".[/#0000ff][/quote]

[cool][sly]
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]Al Gore invented a fishing lure?

Was it his sole success? A fluke? He has certainly floundered around in everything else.[/quote]

[#0000FF]Just for the halibut.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I had to leave you the halibut. I know my plaice.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I suspected that you were baiting me...with just a dab of fishyology. But I had to kick in the turbot charger to catch up to ya.

Wanna skate over to Ray's later?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[Image: handclapingnk5.gif]

(Considering we may be the only two who get all those puns, I salute you, sir. As always.)
[signature]
Plaice.
Very good, not many know that one.
I'll have mine with chips and vinegar guv.
[signature]
I'd bet even fewer know TD's "dab."
[signature]
[#0000FF]And it ain't from an old Brylcreem commercial neither.

Surprising how many species and subspecies of the flat fishes there are. One of my favorites is the petrale sole. Used to have an underwater plateau on Harrison Reef...off Oxnard, CA...where I used to be able to load up on 5-7 pound petrale sole. Had a commercial license so I made good bucks selling what wouldn't fit in my freezer...or on my plate. Several chefs in Santa Barbara would buy every one I brought in.

And sand dabs are small but they are some of the best bait you can find for big ling cod. Get enough of them and you can make a good meal for your own self.

I have caught about every species of flattie except your plaice. Turbot, flounder, halibut, sole, dabs. All good. Make for good punny conversations too.

No applause necessary. I don't wanna have to get treated for the clap.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
A quick question.

I was fishing out of Long Beach on a charter and picked up what I thought was a flounder but if memory serves they called it a skate?

Any idea what my cloudy mind is trying to tell me?
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[quote RockyRaab]Flatulent fish? Ye gods, don't tell AlGore![/quote]

Bahahah! Meet the Spartans. 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Flounders are true bony fish. Skates are members of the shark and ray family...with cartilaginous skeletons. But since skates are flat and live mostly on the bottom they could be mistaken for a flounder...or other flat fish.

Skates are good eating. And they grow big. Guys fishing deep for rockfish sometimes bring them up and some of them are huge.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]