Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jigs & Flies
So reading through the 2015 Rack Meeting packet and this statement caught my eye

©(i) "Artificial fly" means a fly made by the method known as fly tying.
(ii) "Artificial fly" does not mean a weighted jig, lure, spinner, attractor blade, or bait.

Im probably just being silly but isn't wrapping weight around a hook in the jig fasion [Wink]
[signature]
I think it is the "fly" tacked on the end. Lure, spinners and some jigs are artificials, but they are not flies. They are acceptable in no bait areas.
I do tie Jigs and I know many others do as well. Tie regular flies but use jig hooks. Great for deep nymphing.
[signature]
That would be a flig.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey, hey, hey. Fligs are what I call my floating jigs. I make them with closed cell foam and then paint them.

[inline "NEW FLIGS.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
These discussions about what is a fly or what is "fly fishing" tend to figuratively make my head explode. At least in Utah, it doesn't matter in a regulatory sense.

They weren't planning on basing regs on an/several AFL water(s) from those definitions, were they?
[signature]
Agreed. But I would love to see some fly only waters here in Utah[Wink][Smile]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Agreed. But I would love to see some fly only waters here in Utah[Wink][Smile][/quote]

I could support having some of our critical native cutt waters switched to single hook or single barbless, but I guess I don't see the point in trying to make waters "fly only". It would seem to be too much hassle defining what "fly only" is with no biological/resource benefit.

Why would you like to see fly only designation used?
[signature]
More fish for me...that is why the Wink and Smile...a joke.

On a serious note, I don't care how one catches fish. One of the most relaxing, tranquil things we can do.
[signature]
Oops, my bad. My adblock program also blocks out the BFT emoticons.

Re" I don't care how one catches fish. One of the most relaxing, tranquil things we can do."

+1, couldn't agree more!
[signature]
I am one of the people that just doesn't keep fish, but love catching them, so if harvesting is needed, then bring it on.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]Hey, hey, hey. Fligs are what I call my floating jigs. I make them with closed cell foam and then paint them.

[/#0000FF][/quote]
Flig™
There I just trademarked the name so please Use Flig™ correctly™ from now on [laugh].
And how to do jig something that floats? Nevermind I guess if you can fly fish with a jig you can fish it top water as well.
[signature]
[#0000FF]The floating jig "fligs" are usually fished as a dropshot...to keep them above weeds or rocks. And (heaven forbid) I generally use them to present a half a crawler for walleyes, perch, trout, etc.

But...those foam cylinders are also nifty for making super float flies. I have made up some neversink hoppers, beetles and even moths...as in the attached pics. Seems like the big cutts at Strawberry gather around under the lights at the marina and wait for late summer moths to flutter down...to a splashy demise. Made these up special for an enterprising troutaholic. Said they work pretty fliggin' well.
[inline "MOTH FLIES.jpg"]

[inline "Pat's-Moths-444.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nice, "What's in a name? That which we call a flig,
By any other name would catch as many fish."
I'm not sure if that quote is from William Shakespeare the Bard who was a avid fishermen or the one that has a line of fishing products named after him.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have a T shirt that reads: "To fish or not to fish. What a silly question."

Ol' Bill Shakespeare has a lot of quotable quotes that can apply to fishing. "Whether it is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...or to just go fishing and to say to hell with it."
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
What makes these jigs/fligs? It looks like a regular hook with foam and a tail.

Moth is very nice.
[signature]
[#0000ff]Here is a pic of the 1/4 inch size foam cylinders . I also use the larger 3/8" size. Regular fly hooks with a 3x long shank work well but you can use almost any hook depending on the size and style lure/fly you want to make. I use a sharp blade to slit the cylinder lengthwise...about halfway through. Then I epoxy in the hook. Use a Dremel sander to round off the ends.

Glad you like the moth. I had fun trying to come up with the right feathers for the wings.

They are a bit heavy to cast with a light rod and they come down with a splat. But the cutts seem to like it that way.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks. I use that foam, just differently than you do, which is not to say I won't try now[Smile] Flip Flops have great foam too, just need cutters[laugh]
So you don't use a jig hook. what makes it a flig and not a dry fly?
[signature]
Sharing flies, here is my Mothra. The body is closed cell foam wrapped around the body...[Wink]
[Image: FSMoth.jpg]
No I do not mass produce those.[laugh]

And here are some fly jigs
[Image: IMG_3433.jpg]

Maybe Jimphs?????(Jig+Nymph)
[signature]
That moth is sick! Wish I had those up in the Uintas when they were all over the water getting hammered.

Mind sharing the recipe?
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Thanks. I use that foam, just differently than you do, which is not to say I won't try now[Smile] Flip Flops have great foam too, just need cutters[laugh]
So you don't use a jig hook. what makes it a flig and not a dry fly?[/quote]

[#0000FF]It is more of a floating jig than a dry fly. I generally use some kind of weight to get them down NEAR the bottom without dragging on the bottom. That is the idea to keep them wiggling and jiggling just up a ways. The amount of weight and the length of leader to the "flig" determines the distance. Plus, I usually "sweeten" them with worm or fish flesh. Can't profane a dry fly like that.

Replying to your pics...love the moth. But as you well know sometimes a simple outline or representation works as well as an exact replica. Lots of work just to fool a silly trout. But nice.

I make fly jigs too. Some I fish myself. Others for fly rodders who want weighted offerings. Here's a couple of pics. The little Roadrunners in the second pic are on 1/48 oz. heads and about size 6 hooks. They really work on big trout as well as smallies and other panfish...even steelhead.

[inline "JIG FLIES.jpg"]

[inline "Z'S RR'S.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]