Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I didn't order any backing.
I ordered myself a spare spool and a Type 3 sinking fly line. I forgot to order backing.[:/]

I have 10lb FireLine, and 20lb Spiderwire. Would either of these be good for backing? I would like to use the 20lb Spider wire.[Image: dumb.gif]

Thanks,
Harry
[signature]
I can't really answer that but if you take it in a fly shop I can't see it being no more than $3-$4 for spooling some backing onto there. I bet they would put your line on there as well.
[signature]
Thanks TroutMan93,

I live out in the corn fields and it would be at least a 45 minute drive to Ottawa IL, if there is even something there. This isn't exactly the fly fishing capital. One fisherman stopped to watch me casting. Said he'd never seen it done before.

Still hoping someone will know if I can use this type of line for backing. Otherwise I will have to order something.[pirate]
[signature]
I don't see why not. It has been awhile since I looked at Spiderwire, but if I remember it is a braided soft line. The only bad I remember is it said it cut into the spool,l but in all the years I have been fly fishing, I can count on one hand the times I saw the backing with a fish on.
So basically it hardly ever gets used, but it is insurance at the end of the 90'.
It will probably be smaller diameter than Dacron or even Gel backing so you will probably use more.
Make a good knot for backing to line. I even use Super Glue on the knot to make sure.
[signature]
Thanks flygoddess,

I was thinking largely along the same lines as you. You remember enough about super-braids.

The only other thing I can think of is that it might cut into the fly line. I'm going to be connecting the backing to a type 3 line that has no loop on the backing end. I'll have to look at the different kinds of knots that make this connection and see which one might work best. I'm not familiar with those knots but I don't think a nail knot is generally used there. Still, with the way a nail knot wraps the line it might be the best way to connect a fly line and a super-braid.

The superglue is a good idea. Thanks for reminding me.
[signature]
I use a Nail Knot. Perfect knot for this.
[signature]
I'm just now cleaning the fly line that came with my already put together outfit. For the first time I took the line all the way to the backing. They used a nail knot. Very neat knot.
[signature]