Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake 8-11 Sept
They say a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work - we agree but despite the rainy beginning to our trip we did manage to have a successful outing (see Report file for the details) despite it being our first boat trip to Fish Lake.

In the future, we'll likely stick closer to home where we generally do just as well and often catch larger fish.

TubeDude - we did give the 5.6 a test run - we for sure need more practice and maybe having ice would help as well.
[signature]
Nice report. Sounds like you had fun. I love FL.

BTW, your "splake" looks to me to be a nice pup mack. Nice catch.
[signature]
I will never get tired of the scenery at Fish Lake! Those perch looked decent too. Thanks for posting this.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#804000][size 3]Nice pics and sounds like you had fun. It brings back memories for me. How deep was the water inside the marina? The last time I was there, a few years ago, there was only about 2 feet of water in the marina and I was very concerned about my prop. Fish Lake is a beautiful, fun place to go for a few days! As you probably know, the perch fishing is often fast and furious from a boat out at the weed line, and sometimes there are lots of rainbows there too. [/size][/#804000][/font]
[signature]
Nice report. Love fish lake. We go there about every year. By the way the splake you caught has the head tail and body of a pup lake trout. But nice catch anyways.
[signature]
Depth in the marina was 4.5-5 ft. The guy at the marina did think that was about the most it has ever been.

Say it isn't so - we debated laker pup or splake and compared what the regs said in their descriptions and decided on splake due to the spotting pattern and the not much of forked tail.... shucks, guess we still have not caught a splake after all.... so we will put it back on our bucket list.... try again - thanks all....
[signature]
The 5.6 will change your life, trust me!
[signature]
That is the hope anyway... we shall see.... still think we need more practice with it.... which is okay - it just means more ice fishing, right?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Great report and nice pics.

It definitely takes some practice to get the hang of the Showdown. But once it becomes natural you can focus on fishing and just enjoy the show.

The Showdowns are designed for ice fishing but I have one of my two models rigged up to use on my tube. I have only used it once...in deeper water at Starvation. It works fine but for open water fishing I still prefer a good LCD unit that displays a record and shows bottom structure, etc. The Showdown is at its best when rock solid stationary...shooting straight down and responsible only for tracking lures and marking fish. Moving it around messes up the readout...and it doesn't show bottom anomalies.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks TD - agree we'd prefer the Lowrance on the boat for the same reasons and practice - more reasons to go out come hard water.
[signature]
Great post. I really like the report format/pdf. Thanks for taking the time to share.
[signature]