Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry
Me and my wife went to Strawberry last Saturday trolling at Strawberry Bay. We got on the water at 7:30 AM. and trolled a variety of lures like lucky craft, needle fish, and rapala's. We got skunked after 3 hours of trolling. The fish finder showed fish, but they weren't interested! I did noticed a lot of moss in the water. Maybe that was the problem? We were using a downrigger as well as a few trolling poles with leaded line. My question is it mossy over on currant creek side as well? I believe when the water is mossy the fish can't see your lures.
[signature]
I was there on Saturday also. We started out in Strawberry Bay using lead core and dodgers at 5 colors and nightcrawlers and spinning rods with dodgers and nightcrawlers. We caught two Cutts in about 2 hours. We moved down to Renegade and used our spinning gear and dodgers again and landed another 21 Cutts and 2 Bows between 9:30am and 2:00pm. It wasn't a career day but we had fun.
[signature]
I was out only 3 colors. I guess I should have used dodgers. Normally this time of the year I do really good with lucky craft lures over in Renegade, but with the road being closed. It's along way from Strawberry Bay to Renegade in my aluminum boat with a 15 hp motor. I guess I'll try the Soldier Creek side next time.
[signature]
you probably were fine on depth .this time of year I try and troll as close to shore as possible and go in and out of every finger or cove I can find,also look for shallow hump's, plus if you start seeing floating mats of moss. troll by those for good action. spinners squids flat fish and rapalas all should be good. p/s don't worry about moss you just have to clean your lures more often. good luck
[signature]
We usually do well in the fall fishing either the Strawberry or the Soldier Creek side. We have only used our leaded lines at Flaming Gorge, but at Strawberry we have had success using snap weights. We'd let out a dodger/squid set up 30-40ft then snap on a 2-3oz snap weight then let out another 40ft.

We also have done well using jointed Rapalas... still a good distance back from the boat and if we feel we need to get the Rapala little deeper, we'll use a lighter snap weight.

Hope you have better luck next time!
[signature]
Thanks for the replies. I did try closer to shore and in and out of each bay and finger. It was just one of those days at Strawberry for us.
[signature]
It is still summer ......till the 23rd. And we are still getting summer temps.
I went to Strawberry last year the last part of October thinking they had move in and possibly a little lethargic, but found them slamming big flies in 50' of water.
I will be there again this weekend, but I will be focusing on 30 to 40 feet.
Do lotsa "S" turns.
[signature]
Like flygoddess says, lots of "S" turns will increase your success. Also, even though the water temp is still pretty warm (62 deg on 9/15) the fish are primarily in the upper layers of the water. I would recommend you put the lead line and downriggers away and get your offerings up in the upper part of the water column.
[signature]
Not me, I am going with Type VII (super fast sink) in 50' down 30' we shall see[Smile]
[signature]
Not to be a contrarian, but last Sat evening we caught 30+ fish in 2 hrs in the top 5ft of water. All on hardbaits! Nothing cracked the 22" mark but we came close a few times.

I'm curious how deep your flies get with the super fast sink? Do they reach the 30ft mark and deeper? You must have a lot of line out if they are. (The whole idea seems pretty cool to me.)
[signature]
Actually, Type VII sinks like a brick. So 30' of line is 30' deep if sitting still. If moving maybe 20' to 25'.
No doubt they are shallow specially different times of day like early morning or evening.
I have just found bigger fish in that 30' depth no mater how deep I am. I managed one every cast for awhile.
Like I said, we shall see.[Smile]
I have intermediate too. About fly line, they will all hit the bottom eventually, the Type just tells you how quickly it will do that. Factor in movement. I fished a Type III line out maybe 75' on a 90' line, so yes at times there is a lot of line out.
Just gotta go with what works.
[signature]
That is very interesting to hear you are picking them up that deep. I have been marking very few fish down that deep on my finder the past two weeks. Don't get me wrong, I am not doubting you at all...I know better than that. I just appreciate knowing that you are picking them up down there. I know my finder will not show the shallow fish but I often wonder if it is showing everyting down deeper. I need to learn how to use that thing better.
[signature]
I don't know, sounds like you got it dialed in. I am on a pontoon so I might move faster.
I use smaller flies too.
If you are up there this weekend look for me, I am easy to see[laugh]
[signature]
Are you kidding you are a legend...I know how to spot you. We have actually met a couple of times..well sort of. Years ago i found your car keys on a trail on the middle Provo and got them to you as you were just returning to the parking lot. And last year I ran into you and Alan up there at Strawberry and watched you too reel in doubles left and right!!! I chatted with Alan a bit. I fish out of a cardiac canyon [Wink]. I'm trying to talk my brother who hasn't fly fished before to giving it a try so I may just see you guys up there. If not good luck!!![cool]
[signature]