Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Tubing 9/16
Little late posting this but its time to get up to the Berry and catch some fatties. Launched the tube at Chicken Creek at 11 and fished till 3. Only managed one an hour but it was better than the bait fishermen were doing.

Fished Type 3 sinking line and had the best success just kicking around or stripping as soon as the fly hit the water. Managed 2 cutts 17" & 20", long and healthy, and 2 bows 15" & 22" - fat and strong. All hit the red woolly bugger, none on the black bugger or chironomid trailer (lots of those flying around but I suck at fishing those).

Also, good number of kokanee in spawning colors jumping around. Would have loved to catch one of those on a fly!

Got some good shots of the smaller fish and thought I had great gopro video of the 22" football but it took a worthless picture instead of video. I must have screwed up the settings when I was fighting that big fish and trying to get video. I'm very Sad about that. Guess I have to go back and try again. You would have seen how well the Rexfly works on big bows!
[signature]
WTMI to me[Smile] If you were using a Type III and they were hitting the minute the fly hit the water, why didn't you try an Intermediate or even a floating with a longer leader?
[signature]
Ditto on what FG said x3.

Also, this is the best time of year for dries. Ditch the boring buggers. At least go after meat-eaters if you're not into 20+ inch cutts on dry flies. Chub minnow munchers will pound the LFM:

http://www.flyfishfood.com/2013/02/cheec...innow.html

[Image: Low+Fat+Minnow+modified.jpg]
[signature]
Nice fish, yup many times I have had on a faster sinking line then I needed, but I just hit the water and stripped, has worked well .There was a time, and you may have been in that same situation ,I didn't have a slower sinking line.
[signature]
My daughter and I did very well up at the Berry Saturday. I was using an intermediate line and a bugger with a dark olive body and light olive tail. Fish seemed to be in the top of the water column. Kylee was using a rainbow rapala and caught several fish.
My fish finder died a few weeks ago so I am not sure what depth we were.
[signature]
You were leaving Saturday when we getting there. I talked to you about what line you were using. I started with type ll , and switched to intermediate . Both lines did well, but the intermediate was more productive. We fished until dark, and it did slow down a bit, but overall a good day.
[signature]
[quote up2nogood]You were leaving Saturday when we getting there. I talked to you about what line you were using. I started with type ll , and switched to intermediate . Both lines did well, but the intermediate was more productive. We fished until dark, and it did slow down a bit, but overall a good day.[/quote]

Glad you guys did well. Did your friend that was out on the water when I was fishing continue to catch a lot? Man it seemed like every time I turned around he had a fish on. It was a good day.

Mark
[signature]
I know you have that wonderful intermediate line from Orvis[laugh]
I have been up here since Sat. I seriously tried intermediate tonight. And I landed one nice cutt on it. ...... And 7 on Type III. [Wink]
This afternoon a bunch on TypeVII. Still leaving that option open. Harry probably aneasy 60 this morning. He is the man!
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I know you have that wonderful intermediate line from Orvis[laugh]
I have been up here since Sat. I seriously tried intermediate tonight. And I landed one nice cutt on it. ...... And 7 on Type III. [Wink]
This afternoon a bunch on TypeVII. Still leaving that option open. Harry probably aneasy 60 this morning. He is the man![/quote]

It actually was pretty fast I quit counting, but it was a good day. We got there pretty late. Yes that Orvis line is my favorite , and unfortunately left a reel home that had some rio intermediate on it, and had to use that wonderful Orvis stuff [Tongue] Intermediate was by far the most productive. They didn't appear to be deep where we were at.
[signature]
[quote MBM1969][quote up2nogood]You were leaving Saturday when we getting there. I talked to you about what line you were using. I started with type ll , and switched to intermediate . Both lines did well, but the intermediate was more productive. We fished until dark, and it did slow down a bit, but overall a good day.[/quote]

Glad you guys did well. Did your friend that was out on the water when I was fishing continue to catch a lot? Man it seemed like every time I turned around he had a fish on. It was a good day.

Mark[/quote]

That was Old Troller, sounds like he had a good day, I assume he was there all day.He got off the water about the same time as we did. didn't talk to him too much. He was catching them pretty good when I first got on the water, but I fished a different area ,so I don't know how he continued to do.
[signature]