Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Flies
So I have a trip planned to Strawberry next week (I haven't fished there for about 20 years). I have been tying a few flies and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what I should tie.
[signature]
I cant take credit since the info was handed down to me but id suggest the Purple Showgirl (careful goggling that lol )

Ive also done well with bunny leech & white maribou jigs also it almost may be time for pumpkin colored buggers.
[signature]
I did well this past Saturday on a wolley bugger with a dark olive body but a real light olive tail. I have also heard good things about the showgirl. I wanted to try it but they were hitting the olive bugger so well.

Mark
[signature]
I will tie some showgirls then. Has anyone had any experience with Rickards' streamer patterns on Strawberry?
[signature]
No Rickards surprisingly. Husband doing well with Showgirl. I have my own creations that are working... Bonus. Look up Jack Gartside Softhackle. Awesome pattern in black and Purple. Try a Green Weenie. I know, weird but killed.
[signature]
I hit them pretty hard with a size 6 3xl christmas tree.
[signature]
My top 3 most productive patterns on Sunday were:

3. Pistol Pete meets Purple Showgirl
2. Olive and red bugger
1. Large chain-eyed olive damsel nymph (2xl #8 streamer hook)

The damsel got a lot of love.
[signature]
I hadn't heard of a Christmas Tree. The images I found on the net look like a flashabou type streamer with a bead head. Is that right? I like the looks of that Gartside soft hackle. I had never heard of that one either. Thanks for the pointers. I bought a map of the reservoir the other night and I'm excited to do some exploring.
[signature]
Just a side note the wind usually kicks up around 11am its not clockwork so it could be earlier or later but when that wind kicks up it can get kinda scary I try to be near the shore line so I can dock and chill for a minute until it calms down.

Oh Im usually in a inflatable pontoon so... not sure if your in a boat or ...
[signature]
It's just a particular chenille otherwise it's just a wooly bugger. Here's a link http://www.arricks.com/products/crystal-...stmas-tree
[signature]
Thanks for clearing that up. Oddly enough I bought a bunch of the stuff from Arricks when I was in Yellowstone country last month.
[signature]
Was up there today and size 14-12 Adams with a chironomid for a dropper was the ticket about 50/50 for both flies. I caught one slot buster.
[signature]
It stormed 2 out of the four days we were there and I found the fish move deeper during the storm. Had every intention of dries or even deep nymphing, but weather was not with those ideas.
It depends on where you go on this lake. Soldier Creek took completely different flies than Strawberry side.
I used Type VII with fish after fish, then Type III same results. Last night I was determined to try Intermediate. I caught some 20+" Cutts on my fly offering shallow with that line, but being able to fish two fly rods, I also had the Type III and it was going CRAZY.
Some really nice trout this weekend.
Tried an old/ new pattern last night that was off the charts. Not sure why I quit using it, but that won't happen again!
[signature]
Thanks for the update Joni. How has the wind been? I am planning on going up tomorrow.

How do you fish two fly rods at once? I have never tried that.

What was the secret fly Smile.

Mark
[signature]
Wind seemed right on time around 11ish every day. As for two rods, I mark my fly line in feet. So I have one hanging at the depth and cast and strip the other. Helps find where they are hanging. Specially if it is breezy and I am moving. As for secret fly, check PM
[signature]
So how do you set the hook, or feel the hit on the rod that is hanging down?
[signature]
When the tip bounces, I set the hook. If it appears that rod is getting more hits, I switch to just using it.
[signature]
Thanks for the help guys. I tied some bugs I had never tried before. The trip to Strawberry went well. The wind blew most of the time, but the fish didn't mind. We caught lots of fish and had a good time. I think we might make the trip next year too.
[signature]