Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streamer help
I was having a conversation on another post with Grunttwice about streamer fishing and I thought that I would throw this out there to everyone else as well. I grew up fishing with my Dad and he taught me how to fish drys, dry droppers, hoppers, nymph single and tandem rigs and just about everything else. But I never learned how to fish streamers (particularly on a river) and they have always intimidated me for that reason. Does anyone have any advice on this topic? I know that's a broad subject. I just don't really know where to start. patterns? colors? where? how and when? Do I NEED a sinking/sink tip line? leader suggestions? I have dedicated the last part of this season to become a streamer junkie.
[signature]
We did a "live" streamer seminar last winter. You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ6JZ1Z2KWI

It's mainly fly tying related, but has some tips etc.
[signature]
I'm no expert by all means. What I use is a type 3 sink or sink tip 6-8wt with 4 ft of 12-20# fluoro. Cast up and across and strip back fast using the rod tip to give it action. Also I like to over line when fishing streamers. My favorite patterns are the provo hooker and sculpzilla.
[signature]
Try youtube- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=173f8ea99Y0 is a good introduction.
My opinion is technique is the most important factor with streamers. Yes certain colors and patterns can be more productive certain locations and time of year but they all absolutely work very well if they are presented properly.
I find this style working downstream shown very effective for larger streams . In Utah unfortunately we only have a handful or 2 of those to fish. When I fish streamers on smaller streams I work upstream and fish it tight line straight back down to me or occasional past me if a fish is following it. On rivers the size of the Webe or smaller I frequently use floating line with a weighted /conehead streamer. I do use sinking line at times but if you don't have it, it's not always essential. This upstream technique is almost cheating when sight fishing spawning trout or salmon.
[signature]
This has been very helpful both of those videos were great. Thanks for the help. I actually was able to land a nice cutthroat on an orange and black bugger. I couldn't be happier about it. I also stopped by a fly shop while I was up in Jackson over the weekend and overpaid for a few more patterns. My new rod comes today and I can't wait to go try them out. Thanks again!

LECH
[signature]