Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa area fishing trip....
So, I was in Tampa two weeks ago on vacation and scouting for places to live, anyways what a great area, so much water and fishing opportunities...Tampa Bay, Sarasota Bay, beaches, canals, lakes...incredible! And it seems like EVERYONE fishes! Stayed right on the beach at Treasure Island so I was on the beach every morning looking for snook, crazy to be waist deep in the ocean and dolphins swim by, awesome!

I was by myself on the beach so no pics of beach fish, but they were all Ladyfish and Spanish Mackerel which are both a lot of fun...Ladyfish jump and jump but have soft mouth's like a Koke so it takes a bit of work to keep them on, biggest I caught was probably 20" same as the Spanish, which are different because they are toothy and by the time I landed most of them my 20 lb floro. Leader was pretty frayed, what a great time.

I grabbed a guide one day and fished Sarasota Bay from the front of his Ankona Native skiff (awesome boat) and likely the one I will get if/when I move down. Checked off some saltwater species that day...flounder, trout, snapper, redfish, snook (not new), tried for a shot at a shark but he disappeared before we poled over to him. No real size to any of the fish but still a fun day, love fishing the flats and mangroves with a fly rod...great trip, next salt trip is back to the Bahamas for 3 weeks for some bones'
[signature]
Thanks Remo for the post and pictures. Sounds like a wonderful trip. Keep those rainbows coming.
[signature]
Gotta be fun on the fly rod no matter the size. Never really could comprehend the 100+ tarpon on the fly rod, that's gotta take mad skills. Sounds like a great trip. Bonefish are for sure on my to do list, hard to beat those pound for pound so I've heard. I'll probably try to check off a billfish of some kind first.
[signature]