Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flourocarbon question
[quote GP]fish focus on the fly, not the tippet.[/quote]

Really.......then why not different colored tippet? Why is it you can present a fly perfect and have the fish go for it, till it sees you or the shadow of your line?
[signature]
[quote gonfishn]I was shopping for new tipett recently and got to wondering if anyone knows the difference between the
P-line flourocarbon and the rio flouroflex plus flourocarbon of the same diameter. If there is no real difference, you can sure get a lot more for your money buying the P-line than the tipetts packaged for flyfishers in the small spools. Specifically, I was looking to get some 1x flouroflex which runs approx $15 for 30 yds. Conversely, the 10 or 12 pound P-line is $21 for 250 yds. I use this tipett for streamers and for lake fishing so decided to take the risk and bought the P-line. But I am curious to hear if any of you know the difference or have considered the same question.[/quote]
First of all, I use PLine flouro, but that's strictly for stillwater fishing. Next, Rio Flouroflex Plus tippet and P Line diameters are different for the same poundage. The Rio, like most tippet sold to fly fishers is thinner than off the shelf bulk spools like P Line Berkley and other brands. There is a difference in diameters.
[signature]
Maxima makes a brown tippet. There are companies that make spin lines in yellow and other colors. I have caught Bonitas in Mexico with 50# test mono and 35 # steel tippets. I normally use 4x and 6x p-line or Seaguar. Renae Harrop told me that Upper Harriman was named Bing Lemke after a famous fisherman who caught a lot of big fish. He would have to cut his tippet at an angle to get a size 20 fly on the tippet was so big. My neighbor on Henrys Fork of the Snake buys 250 yard rolls 8# test mono at Walmart and doesn't use a leader ,straight 9ft. mono and catches as many fish as anyone. When the salmon fly hatch is on I think you could put on Amnesia and catch fish.
[signature]
[quote GP]Maxima makes a brown tippet. There are companies that make spin lines in yellow and other colors. I have caught Bonitas in Mexico with 50# test mono and 35 # steel tippets. I normally use 4x and 6x p-line or Seaguar. Renae Harrop told me that Upper Harriman was named Bing Lemke after a famous fisherman who caught a lot of big fish. He would have to cut his tippet at an angle to get a size 20 fly on the tippet was so big. My neighbor on Henrys Fork of the Snake buys 250 yard rolls 8# test mono at Walmart and doesn't use a leader ,straight 9ft. mono and catches as many fish as anyone. When the salmon fly hatch is on I think you could put on Amnesia and catch fish.[/quote]

I understand Brown tippet even olive/green. Also Umpqua has Bi-Colored Indicator Tippet in bright orange and yellow, but that is for nymphing (Czech Nymphing more specific).
[url "http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CF4QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bluequillangler.com%2FProducts%2FUmpqua_Feather_Merchants%2FUmpqua-Bi-Colored-Indicator-Tippet-Material-30-Yards&ei=mXpAVKP0Cseg8QHK14HwCQ&usg=AFQjCNGwsXDGQC6iIfyc-CFBEupNFYWkGQ&sig2=A_i-72xKEbvZTBUEnXUKhQ&bvm=bv.77648437,d.b2U"][/url] I know Spinning line has colors. I have seen even orange. All of these on stillwater are kind of Moot. Not sure how many use the bright color line all the time, but it is there.
I too use P-Line regular Fluoro for all my fishing except when I get down to 6X. But as you posted, P-Line offers a X leader and Seaguar offers X tippet. There is a difference in diameter still. The stuff on the smaller TIPPET spools is a thinner diameter.
This will only become an issue when fishing dries.
I have used 6X on #32 with a loop. No problem, but to use 2lb regular Fluoro it is bulky and stiff. To use 6X tippet it is light and flexible. Again, Dries.
Nymphs and streamers are anything goes.[cool]

I would be interested on the Amnesia, but are the Salmon stalked?

Here is one more for you. I make furled leaders. I have made one in Bright Orange. I attached 2 feet of tippet and proceeded to fish. I caught fish, so I cut a foot off. still caught fish. Cut off 6" and no more fish.

Ranae is good people and knows his CDC doesn't he.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]

I would be interested on the Amnesia, but are the Salmon stalked?

[/quote]

May have been Tongue in cheek (no sarcasm font), but GP was talking about the giant stoneflies of late May/early June.

outside of the Ranch though, the North Fork of the Snake is a different animal. A lot of 2x and 3x. I also know a lot of HF and Green river guides that swear you never need smaller than 4x - even on baetis/trico/midge dries if you present the fly correctly to your prey.
[signature]
Renae sold everything to Rich and John and retired.
[signature]
Renae sold everything to Rich and John and retired.
[signature]
Ive used everything from the super pricey fluoro to the cheap stuff... besides breaking strength they all seem to catch fish. I personally have settled to the sportsman warehouse brand. $6.99 a spool and it holds up great. They even redesigned them to have a band with the hole on it instead of the terrible plastic clips that always broke.
[signature]