Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry on 10/10
Headed up to Strawberry yesterday for some fall fishing. The fishing was hot from 10-12 then tapered off for the rest of the afternoon. I caught almost all of my fish on a white articulated streamer that is meant to imitate a small chub. Some of the takes were pretty violent when i was stripping it fast.
Other patterns that worked were, orange, black, and brown buggers. I talked a few people and they were also catching them on small micro leeches. On a side note I saw several chironomids flying around some of them quite large (size 14 adults) but I didnt catch any fish on a pupae. My fish finder battery was dead but I caught most fish around the 6-8' mark I think. Happy hunting!

P.S. The trees are gorgeous up there right now, the scenery was the best its going to get all year. Head up there quick for some great fishing and views.
[signature]
That was about the same time for us as well but we found the fish more in 20' to 40'. The "Midges" were big and I should have tried deep nymphing with "chironomids", but the wind made it hard to hold position.
Big healthy Cutts and bows on a Type III and VII.
[signature]
FWIW, chironomids are pupae, they don't fly, they hatch, becoming winged adults.
[signature]
That's a common misperception. They are a type of fly - dipthera I believe. Most would call them a midge. For what ever reason the larval pattern is the fly that gets called chironomids by many. Chironomid pupae or midge pupae is the more accurate description. In some parts of the country they do use those terms to make the distinction of the stage of the fly.
Here's a link to chironomid fly patterns that shows them in various stages http://www.fishingwithflies.com/ChironomidPatterns.htm
[signature]
Nice read. Most do refer to Chironomids as a pupa. Maybe more so in the fly fishing end of it thanks to some of the Masters like Chan and Rowely.
The Adults looking very close to mosquito's with slender bodies. Not the dries I have seen at Strawberry. Not sure what midges are up there, but they were big.
[signature]
Were you up there on Friday as well? I'd love to fish with you sometime if possible. Next time I head up there I'll shoot you a PM.
[signature]
No just Saturday. Do that! I work Tuesdays and Thursdays, the rest I fish...LOL
[signature]
I was referring to the pupae as the nymph stage and not the adult stage, but thanks for the clarification. I'm a little surprised I didn't catch anything on a chironomid because I saw quite a few adults flying around, but maybe I wasn't deep enough. Plus all the algae in the lake makes it hard to fish small flies I think.
[signature]
Generally, the trout are full of pupa out of Strawberry. There are times that deep nymphing is fast and furious, I have been luck to have a few, but Strawberry is not a constant deep nymphing lake.
Too bad because I love it.
You do need sonar to tell depth.
And although the Adults are in the Chironomid class, they are referred to as Midges. The Pupa are Chironomids as far as fly tying, but also nymph.
I have never heard the dries called a Chironomid till this post. Less confusing to call them Midge to me, but I am a fly tier.
[signature]