Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hooknhunter Contest Fish!
Hooknhunter please enter your fish in this thread.

Good luck!
[signature]
Nothing too spectacular yet, but I'm going to go on the board.

Cascade lake
November 21, 2014
Yellow perch - jigging rap
Rainbow trout - jig with worm

[inline PB210001.JPG]
[inline PB210004.JPG]
[signature]
Congratulations , nice start .
[signature]
Good looking perch...Would love to have perch that size on my side of the state....Great start!
[signature]
IF I only lived closer!!!! you have all the fun I am sooo jealous! Great job my friend
[signature]
[quote hooknhunter]Nothing too spectacular yet...[/quote]

LOL no big deal... just a bigger perch than I've ever even seen! [sly] Looks like a great start to me! They'll both go 14 inches. You could probably make a good case that the rainbow is 14.5, but it looks just barely shy to me. I suspect that you'll probably be upgrading that one anyway...
Well done and keep em coming!
[signature]
Hope to upgrade both of those, but it's good to get on the board.
[signature]
I would love to get a few perch like that on the east side of the state.
[signature]
Sure looks like a coho to me.
[signature]
I wondered about that fish being a Coho for a while myself. Then I decided it was a rainbow. I have a hard time telling the difference. The shinnyness and the scales coming off made me think it was a Coho. Rainbows don't typically have the scales come off that easily. I'll defer to our judges decision on it, but I agree that it might be a Coho. I'd actually prefer if it was decided that it is a Coho adding one more to my species list. [Smile]

I've thrown back many rainbows so far and I'm certain I'll get some bigger, unless things go really bad.

Here are 2 more from 11-28. Horsethief was the location. One is a brown caught on a green/yellow jig tipped with worm. The other is a brookie that was caught on a jigging rap with no bait. I think the brown is 9.5 and I think the brookie is 11.5, but I'll stand by your decision. I hope to upgrade all the fish recorded so far.

If you go to Horsethief please be careful as the ice conditions were rapidly deteriorating.

[inline PB280002.JPG][inline PB280001.JPG]
[signature]

I have no skin in the game and not a judge, but I have caught coho on Cascade and tons of rainbows. That sir is not a rainbow. It is a coho.

[quote hooknhunter]I wondered about that fish being a Coho for a while myself. Then I decided it was a rainbow. I have a hard time telling the difference. The shinnyness and the scales coming off made me think it was a Coho. Rainbows don't typically have the scales come off that easily. I'll defer to our judges decision on it, but I agree that it might be a Coho. I'd actually prefer if it was decided that it is a Coho adding one more to my species list. [Smile]
[signature]
Good luck in your quest! Looks you are off to a hot start!
[signature]
Good job again! Lots of species already!
11.5 for the brook and 9.5 for the brown as you said.

As for the rainbow/coho in question, I'm still leaning towards calling it a rainbow, but if you guys know something I don't, please share. I'm always looking to get better at my fish ID skills, so if I'm getting something wrong I want to fix it! 97sx, what characteristics are you looking at that make you say coho?

Here's what I'm looking at:
-It's got spots on the top half of the tail like a coho, I hesitate to use just the spotting pattern though because spots can vary a ton from fish to fish.
-The shape of the anal fin looks like a rainbow to me (this to me is the most definitive characteristic that I can see in the picture),
-I can't really see the inside of the mouth so can't say for sure, but it looks pretty light colored to me like a rainbow.

HnH if you have any more pics of this fish, it might help if we can look at them. I certainly don't want to short you a species!!

I found this website with a useful little diagram:
http://www.multispecies.com/Leagues/MMTS...fault.aspx
[signature]
Not a fisheries biologist but that to me looks like a colorless landlocked coho. Especially with the scales just peeling off like that. The rainbows on Cascade have considerably more color, spots, etc.

I will try and attach a pic or two of landlocked coho.
[signature]
I had a discussion with my friend while we were on the lake as to whether it was a Coho or a rainbow. Typically I only see that really shinny sides and scales coming off on Salmon, not rainbows. But the thing that made me decide it was a rainbow was the fact the the mouth was completely white inside and I think the jaw typically goes further back past the eye on a Salmon (bigger mouth). I personally am leaning towards Coho based on the shinny sides and scales coming off, but I can't account for the small mouth that is white inside unless it is a rainbow.

97, you'll notice in your picture that the mouth has black in it (with white gums, I'm sure) and the mouth goes back a ways past the eye. On mine it was completely white in the mouth and the jaw only goes back about equal to the eye or so.

Like I said in an earlier post. I have a hard time telling them apart. If I had my druthers, I'd prefer if it was a Coho because that will give me another species and I don't catch many Coho's. Rainbows are cake. But in this case, I'd have to put my money on Rainbow. I will defer to iliketofish's judgment. IL2F, sorry, but I don't have any other pictures.

Is there such a thing as a Coho/Rainbow hybrid? If so, I've never heard of it.
[signature]
I showed the picture to one of the other bios in my office today and he agreed that we should call it a rainbow (rainboho?? [Smile]) from what we can see in the picture. The white mouth and the anal fin shape are the two most indicative things in my opinion.
Like I said, I don't want to short you a species, but that's honestly what it looks like to me. I've no doubt you'll go out and get another one, and I look forward to seeing it!
[signature]
I'm good with that. I think it looks a LOT like a Coho, but I believe it is a Rainbow. Won't hurt my feelings if you change your mind, though. [Wink]
[signature]
Got a couple new ones for the contest today.

Henry's Lake. Brookie = cut bait. Cutthroat = Jigging Rap.

The Brookie was measuring 20 inches but the pictures make it seem close. You might only be able to pull 19.5 out of it based on the pictures. The cut weighed 5 lb 10 oz. and was 22 inches. Through in an extra pic. Hope you enjoy.

[inline "Henry's Lake Dec 10-12, 2014 (13).JPG"]

[inline "Henry's Lake Dec 10-12, 2014 (19).JPG"]

[inline "Henry's Lake Dec 10-12, 2014 (15).JPG"]
[signature]
Strong work!
[signature]
Holy crap! That poor fish needs to go on a diet! I don't think I've seen one that shape before. Good work!
22 for the piglet, 19.5 for the brookie.
[signature]