Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some advice about Lake Mead
I've been having a really bad year. I have not caught any fish my last 8 trips out to Lake Mead. I need some advice as to where/when I should go and what Bait/Lures I should use for various species. I am open to any advice.
[signature]
You bank fishing?

I am kind of thinking yes.

Ok man this will get the stink off. Get yourself some canned corn. Several cans. Find a spot on the bank with access to some reasonably deep water close to shore. Basically you do not want to be in a spot where the water is two feet deep 100 yards out. Need some kinda of depth.

Take said corn and throw several handfuls all around.

Thread up a hook with lots of tasty corn. Use as little weight as possible and get your bait right out there with the rest of the chum.

Kick back and wait. They will come. Usually takes about 30 mins to an hour but fish will show up.

You want to get fancy bait up your other rod with nightcrawlers or chovies and get those out in your corn slick.

This will catch your carp, cats and small striped bass just about anywhere on the lake.
[signature]
I would also recommend you try to catch shad. Live shad is a great all around bait to use on Mead. Like Dan suggested chumming is a good way to get the fish into the area. I have used frozen shad, anchovies, and corn to chum with varying degrees of success.

I'm heading out tomorrow morning for a few hours. PM me if you are interested in meeting up.
[signature]
You know I had it in my mind to mention I was shore fishing, but forgot to do that. I have tried corn. perhaps I didn't throw enough out. I was fishing a point with a gradual slope to the Northeast and a straight drop to the southwest. I'll try more Corn next time. Thanks. any tips on Good areas for shore fishing?

As for catching shad I imagine it would be pretty difficult to catch shad from shore. I doubt a minnow trap would work very well for shad.
[signature]
[reply]Let me know how you do Toadie[/reply]
[signature]
SG,

I mainly fish from the shore too, and I catch shad all the time from shore. You have to get a casting net and learn how to throw it. There are tons of Youtube videos that will show you the basics and then you have to practice a lot. But once you learned to throw the net correctly you should be able to net shad on a consistent basis.

I go out at least once or twice a week for a few hours, and its been a while since I have been skunked at Mead. I don't always catch a lot but I do catch at least three or four fish each outing.

Let me know if you want to go out together sometime. Hope this info helps.
[signature]
Any suggestions for a spot like you've mentioned?
[signature]
I moved to Texas 5 years ago so my "spots" are probally not any good at this point ha ha.

However with the corn, more is better! I would usally start with a whole can then add about half a can every hour after that.

Chovies work great as chum but they are also not as budget friendly as canned corn. I would do a combo and fish one rod with the chovies and one with corn.

Shad are for sure #1, nothing will beat live shad on Mead, however as I also mostly bank fished... I never had any luck catching them from the bank, I had seen it done, but never got that lucky mself.

Good luck!
[signature]
[reply]That could be a fun Venture Toadie. It would have to wait until I can get my Car situation taken care of though. I do appreciate the offer.[/reply]
[signature]
For me time of day plays into a lot of the action. I primarily boat fish but have spent some time on the shore. The lake tends to shut down for periods of time but if you are on the water / shore at daybreak that is your best bet. Same for later evening when the sun starts to set. Even on a boat I struggled for stripped bass during mid day, LMB and SMB usually stay pretty active. Drop shot a senko for consistent results.

One thing i like to do after i have chummed and got the fish in the area is to switch up to a top water plug such as a zara spook. Usually get a bit of action that route or i will throw on a swim shad. Just need to make sure its near the size of the bait in the water. If the fish are there you should do well unless they are just locked into the bait fish.
[signature]