Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake New Years Day
Fishing as we know it is over for awhile. Plenty of new snow on the ramp(8 to 10 inches) and thick ice in the marina channel. Areas between the bubblers is frozen solid. Only three bubblers running on the south side. I drove over to see for myself. Chains or no chains, there is no way you can make it up the ramp with that much snow. Even if you could, ice would keep you from making onto the lake.
[signature]
Thanks for the report! I have been trying to get up there all week but was affraid that the canyon drive might even be a little rough??
[signature]
Is there any ice outside of the marina? You mentioned that only three bubblers were running on the south side. Does anyone happen to know how many bubblers there are in total?
[signature]
No ice outside the marina anywhere.(except on the ramp of course) I thought there were bubblers on the north side last year but I could be wrong. The three on the south are the only ones I've seen running this winter.
[signature]
OldCoot and I are trying to get together next Saturday and maybe launch from the Ideal Beach area using chains and a couple trucks?? Not sure if we will be successful, but the combination of great minds may prove victorious!!!
[signature]
I just might be down there myself. So I will be looking for you.
If I were you guys I'd call ahead to make sure of the snow depths. I have a friend who lives one of the few houses right on Gus's Point. He is totally snowed in and can't get to his house. The beach has about a foot of wind-packed snow which makes driving down there tough since it is easy to get high centered. If I were you I'd call Ideal Beach Resort to see if they are plowing down to the water's edge like they do for the ice fishermen. It will only cost you one buck each to get access down through the condos and might make launching a lot easier (if its plowed).
[signature]