Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hand made hard baits
Well, not wasting any time on my new years resolution(s), I tried my hand at making some wooden lures. I initially tried carving some out of pine with some sandpaper and a handheld scroll saw. Not pretty at all. Then, the fishing gods flipped open my Harbor Freight add in the paper to a mini-woodworking lathe for under $40. Then my wife wanted to go to the craft store. I found some very cool glitter in very bright colors, some "sea-pearl" acrylic paints, and 12" wooden dowels. I am banned from going to the craft store with her again. Oh well.

Here are my first attempts/experiments with some paint and a lathe. I still need to get some hardware for my toys and decide about diving lips and whatnot. Any suggestions TD????

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2148;]

Happy New Year to all!

ES
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, Nate, those are looking pretty good. So, you blew your craft store pass, huh? Man, they got a lot of goodies there for luremakers and fly tyers.[/size]

[size 1]You will need to look in either Jann's Netcraft or Barlows for some screw eyes and/or propeller blades. I get several sizes of screw eyes, from 1/2" to 1" in length. And, if you get several sizes of propeller blades, you can also use them for making Pistol Pete flies.[/size]

[size 1]When you install the screw eyes, it is good to use a small drill bit (Dremel) and drill a pilot hole first. Then use pliers to twist the screw all the way to the ring in the wood. Back it out and put a drop of epoxy down the hole before reseating it. Make sure the rings are facing the way you want before the epoxy sets up. [/size]

[size 1]When the screw eyes are installed, you will need some split rings and treble hooks. Get good strong size two or three split rings. A pair of split ring pliers helps in getting the rings and hooks on the screw eyes, but you can use a dull-pointed paring knife to open the rings in a pinch. If you use a sharp point, Murphy's law will kick in and you will suffer some blood loss. Been there, done that.[/size]

[size 1]By the way, you can use permanent markers to add spots, dots and stripes to your lures, before a final clear coat to seal everything in.[/size]

[size 1]All in all, it looks like you are well on your way. Good thing too. With all that snow up there, you need something to keep you inside and occupied.[/size]
[signature]
It is a lot of fun to make these little things. Now I just need to start practicing more. What do you use in the way of a final coat, polyurethane?
[signature]
[cool][size 1]You can use anything that will not react with the paints you already have on the lures...and which will not discolor with time and sunlight.[/size]

[size 1]I prefer a thin coat of clear two-part epoxy paint...not the stuff used for glue. If you are not concerned about protection from plastic solvents (in soft plastic baits) you can simply apply a coat of the clear gloss vinyl jig enamel. If you have some two part clear rod builder's epoxy, that works too...but takes a long time to dry, and must be rotated to keep it from running.[/size]

[size 1]I like the epoxy because it adds durability as well as protection against the accidental contact with a soft plastic bait. You can cure it faster by heating it for 20 minutes at 160 in the oven...without damage to any of the other paint or components.[/size]
[signature]
coool info t.d. i was just looking for this info on the freshwater board and thought i'de stop by here and ask , but i see i'm late again as usual .
great info , thanks a bunch , you really are a treasure of information !
[signature]
[cool][size 1]What kinda stuff are you thinking about making? In some cases you can buy ready made blanks and just do the painting and add hooks...or even get them with all the colors and no hooks. I buy several different Rat-L-Traps and some poppers for less than I could make them myself.[/size]

[size 1]It's when you have a special design in mind, that nobody else is making , that it is fun to make your own and then catch fish on them.[/size]

[size 1]Get back to us if there is anything in particular you need.[/size]

[size 1]And, hope you made it gracefully into 2004.[/size]
[signature]

Hey there EmuScud,

Did you hear of the latest high price for original lures in Japan? Make a unique lure that works for a basspro and win 10,000 smakers!

TubeDude said it all in one single word! Dremel !!! You can buy starter kits cheaply and add to your 'heads' as experience dictates!

I have a 'collected by me' set of 7 lures (rapala-like) from 3 famous Japanese lure artists. Each costs me from 100 to 180 dollars in 97'. They look almost alive and their finish has a depth that changes every time you shift your line of sight even a millimeter.

Boy, have you got a fun adventure ahead of you.

JapanRon
[signature]
About 5 years ago I was in Costco and picked up a nice dremel kit. I don't think I've ever used a tool as much as my dremel. I have seen some pics of those lures, it is truly amazing. My local bass waters has at best 4-6 inches of visability so I am more concerned about profile and movement rather than color.

It is fun to think about different designs and re-inventing the wheel (which tends to happen to me alot). Happy New year to you!

Nate (aka EmuScud)
[signature]
[cool]Hey tubedude, Thanks for the info you posted about the propellers at Jann's Netcraft!!!! I do alot of flytying and was wondering where to get the propellers so I could tie up some pistol petes. I have caught more trout on that lure than anything else. When nothing else is working I "give them the gun" and they surrender. I just ordered a catalog from Jann's and can't wait. Thanks again.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, Big E, glad to provide some timely info for ya. Ya never know what topics we gonna cover on this board.[/size]

[size 1]Cabelas has a few of the propeller blades, but Janns has a bigger selection...different sizes and styles...in both nickle and brass.[/size]

[size 1]I have a Word doc on my desktop with "Fishing Links". I keep track of websites for all kinds of tackle and float tubing supplies. Anytime you are having trouble finding something, feel free to post it up and we will see if we can help.[/size]

[size 1]I make a lot of different lures, and do some wild paint jobs. Some of my exotic color combos include glitter painting, and I have located several sources for glitters that are not available through the normal tackle outlets (think candle making). [/size]

[size 1]I have also found some super glow powder that you can mix with clear vinyl jig paint and make some long lasting glow in the dark jigs...in blue as well as the more common green.[/size]

[size 1]What are some of your favorite "Pete" patterns? And where do you fish them most?[/size]
[signature]

Hey there BigE,

Give a fellow lure maker a yell. He's asking questions on the freshwater board now about components. I couldn't remember 'netcrafts' so I gave him some other sources.

Netcraft's catalogs is one of the first I requested at the ripe old age of 10 years old (1959). My scratchy childish catalog request must have been a laugh for them!

I still have the catalogue (black and white, tiny type size, crowded design, line drawings, etc. ha ha ha!

That spirit is what has made America as great as she is!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, Ron, how about Herters? That was probably my first mail order experience. I bought a lot of stuff from them and was Sad to see them fade away.[/size]

[size 1]I still have some old jig molds and a fly tying vice from Herters. Probably fall into the antweek catagory by now.[/size]
[signature]
i'm actuall starting off with some of the old red and white wooden lure baits , making replacas of some of the ones i've collected over the years .
too nice to loose in the water , and with the glo colors i should have some night time fun with them also .
i snoosed thru new years again , besides it was a good day to be out on the ice , with pay !
[signature]
[cool]Hey tubedude, My favorite color is olive, but black seems to work good also. I was thinking of tying them up with some krystal flash because my wooly buggers in olive w/krystal flash really do a number on trout, especially in deeper water. I will also tie up some in a cinammon color as well. This gets bit when the olive slows down. I do most of my trout fishing in the eastern sierras of california. I have fished almost every popular stream and lake from Big Pine to Bridgeport. Most of my "Pete" fishing is on the streams and creeks. I haven't used them much on the lakes. But I have talked to a few guys who have good luck with them fishing them deep on the troll or casting with a clear bubble full of water. I am hoping to put them to the test here in nevada when I can get a chance this spring. I have only been in NV. for a year. I'm still exploring and settling in.
[signature]
[cool]Hey JapanRon, another good catalog is Hook and Hackle. It is mostly flyfishing stuff but they also sell rod building components. My brother has built about 4 or 5 flyrods with their gear. One of them is my 4 weight 7'6" which is a blast on the creeks. My best fish on it was a 4lb 15oz. You can get some good internet deals from them if you are signed up with them. the website is www.hookhack.com
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey Big E, I used to fish all up and down the Sierras, on both sides, lakes and streams. Great fishing, if you learn the waters and stay away from opening day.[/size]

[size 1]One of my favorite BIG trout patterns, for wooly buggers and Petes, is a black with red flashabou fibres mixed in. It works for the big cutts in Walker and Pyramid and in several sizes works well on the big fish in Crowley too. It was the "top secret" fly of the last part of the '03 season on Crowley.[/size]

[size 1]I also recommend you do some things with black and chartreuse...and don't overlook purple and red. Those are a hot combo for many trout...including steelhead if you get over to the coast.[/size]

[size 1]By the way, your recommendation to JR for Hook and Hackle is a a good one. I just bought a bunch of Glo Brite chenille and some other stuff at less than my other sources. Couldn't even find the colors of the Glo Brite I wanted at Kaufmanns, in Oregon.[/size]

[size 1]And, they do have a wide variety of stuff. here is the link for anyone who wants to check them out.[/size]

[url "http://www.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/home.asp"]http://www.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/home.asp[/url]
[signature]
Hey TD, Please don't forget your neighbor here when it comes to sampling some of the new colors. Our spring season is just a few minutes away and it would be nice to show a monster fish with some custom regalia hanging out of the mouth.
[signature]
[cool]Nice collection of Petes! I'll try your suggestion about adding red flashabou to my buggers as well as my future pistol petes. I haven't yet used chartreuse but am willing to experiment. So many colors, so many choices. Sounds like fun!
[signature]