Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Yesterday...
Went up yesterday and the weather report was wrong, cold front was not so cold, it was windy though, fishing was slow for us, fished the Meadows again (maybe should have tried Renegade) I only landed 8, no action on Purple or White today all were caught on a Black cone head bugger.
[signature]
DUDE! Renegade is the HOT SPOT everybody knows this....
You were fly fishing?[laugh] (I joke)
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]DUDE! Renegade is the HOT SPOT everybody knows this....
You were fly fishing?[laugh] (I joke)[/quote]

Ha, threw the fly rod last week also and landed 20 [Tongue] once in awhile I will throw it on a lake…just not a 9 weight [:/]
[signature]
I do need to buy a new sinking line…suggestions? Right now I am just using a full sinking line that Riverdog hooked me up with, but now that I have re-tooned myself I better get a better one and get more active on the still waters!
[signature]
Easy, I have been known to throw an 8wt (generally it is because I broke a 6wt) But seriously, with the right rod like a BIIx or a ONE an 8 wt can feel lighter than a TFO 2 wt. They are a joy to cast. I was dumb enough to use a 3 wt several years ago. Kept me busy for what felt like an hour to only loose the fly.
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0]I do need to buy a new sinking line…suggestions? Right now I am just using a full sinking line that Riverdog hooked me up with, but now that I have re-tooned myself I better get a better one and get more active on the still waters![/quote]

I use to say a TYPE II but for some reason they are getting harder to find. So, I would say I used a TYPE III and VII more than anything. Sportsman's and Scheels has great deals on discount line a lot. Look under the fly display at Sportsman's. And FULL SINK can be Density Compensated (sinks uniformly with no belly) or WET CELL which forms a belly meaning the fly sinks a little slower. Great for weedy bottoms.
[signature]
So, go with full sinking or sink tip?
[signature]
Full sink. I only use sink tips on rivers from time to time. They come in 7' to maybe 15' and I fish deeper than that.
The Streamer line however is grain weight in the first 30' then 70' of intermediate as is Orvis Depth Charge,
250 grain to 300 for a 5 or 6 wt.
I like full sink because it is a thinner diameter and easier to cast to me.
[signature]
Thanks for the report.
We were at Renegade yesterday in the wind and didn't do all that well either. We only landed 15, all cutthroats on black/green crystal buggers and Canada blood leeches in sizes 4-8. We had heard lots of reports of algae but the water was pretty clear.

If you are shore fishing lakes or fishing rivers, then a sink tip is a good choice like the FG said, but for fishing out of a tube/toon the uniform sink/steady sink lines are the way to go. If you only have two sinking lines the FG hit it on the head, #2 maybe #3 and a #7 sink. If you go for a #7 sink rate I would seriously look at the AirFlo Sixth Sense line. I used the #7 RIO In-Touch line for over a year and a half and they replaced the cracked lines each time but they only lasted about 4-6 months. Poor results for a $75 line. As far a #2 or #3 either SA, Cortland, or Orvis make decent sinking lines at a reasonable cost.
[signature]