Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions on rifle scope
I have this older .270 rifle that my late grandfather passed down to me about 25 years ago. I love the gun, especially for its sentimental value. But it shoots very well, too. I use it primarily for deer hunting and it has served me well. Most years, I shoot it maybe 5 times (4 times to ensure it's sighted in, and 1 more to take down my deer in the fall).

I'd like to put a new scope on it. I know that one could go absolutely NUTS when buying a scope -- I've seen some of them north of $2000. I want to stay well below that.

Given how much (or, rather, how little) I shoot it, I'd like to stay below $200. Are there are really good scopes at this price point? I'd like an adjustable mag scope, like 3x9 or something like that.

Thanks in advance for any good suggestions.
[signature]
I've had a lot of poor scopes over the years. Most recently it seems I've had some pretty decent ones and most of them didn't break the bank. For what you are describing I would recommend something in a 3x9x40 or a 4x10x40 or so. It doesn't matter all that much what the magnification is.

I personally have had really good luck with the Bushnell Elite 3200 series scopes and also the Nikon Buckmaster series scopes. I think you'd be very happy with either. I think if you go with anything less you'll find yourself disappointed down the road. I don't know what either of those cost these days.

My favorite scope of all that I own is a Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40AO, but is going to cost a bit more money, for sure. It has proven to be extremely reliable. I take it on at least 1 horse trip where the rifle is in a scabbard for multiple days over the course of the trip. I consider this to be very hard on optics and it has proven to be top notch, IMO. After 5 years of use and horse trips it was still zero'd well enough to make a 1 shot kill on a whitetail at 530 yards. Admittedly, on the 6th year it drifted a bit and now needs to be re-zero'd. That included a few falls that nearly incapacitated me. Still, with 3 shots I was back on track good enough to finish the job this year and 1 shot killed another WT and nearly 300 yards. The scope tracked exactly as it should have to get back on a relative close zero. Now I'll get it back to the range and zero it up again so that I can do those longer shots when I need to.

Good luck.
[signature]
Thank you for the reply.

Based on your input, I was looking at various reviews yesterday on these 2 scopes. And while investigating the Nikon Buckmaster, I came across the ProStaff - also from Nikon. With an Amazon price of $140 and generally EXCELLENT reviews, I'll be considering this one too.
[signature]
My experience with the prostaff line has been very limited, but what i've had wasn't all that impressive. I think it would be money well spent to go up 1 price point to the buckmaster.
[signature]
You can't beat Leopold just for the warranty. They will fix or replace broken optics no questions asked. Pm me if you are interested.
[signature]
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 BDC on sale Nov 13-26 at Cabela's for $129.99
[signature]
Wow! I'd jump on that.
[signature]
Thank you!
[signature]
I have 3 Vortex scopes that I have been really pleased with. 2 are the Vipers and run in the 500-900 range but I did put a 4-12x40 BDC Diamondback on my wifes gun that i have really liked. I have used it out to 800 yards and for the money it is a great scope. Vortex also has a lifetime warranty but i have not had to deal with them on it. Anyways cabelas has the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 BDC for 199 right now. I also have a leupold and they are great scopes too.
[signature]