Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unit 17 Information
Has anyone hunted the late rifle hunt in unit 17? My son really wants to get a deer this year and just hasn't had time up until now. We are leaving this weekend to go up there and give it a go. We will be hunting on Monday, and Tuesday. Nov. 10th and 11th.

Not asking for specific spots just what tactics we should be using at this time of year.

Windriver
[signature]
I've never hunted 17 but I can give you some tactics. Are you hunting whitetail or mulies? They are in the prerut/rut. Bucks won't be far from does right now. If it were me I would find a canyon that is between 200 and 300 yards across and sit and watch. The deer will be moving in the mornings and evenings, possibly all day. Bring good binos and a set of rattling antlers or a rattle bag. If things are slow do a rattling sequence that lasts 1 to 2 minutes. Do that about every hour. Let me know how it plays out for you guys.
[signature]
I want to try the rattling next time. My son ended up getting a two point mule deer. He was happy. Didn't see a lot of deer. I think the mule deer were up higher and the white tails were in really thick brush and we kept spooking them ahead of us. Only saw one white tail doe.

My son was happy and ended up with a close 30 yrd shot.

Thanks for the advice.

Windriver
[signature]