Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell Nov 1 - 4, 2014
Just returned from a nice 4 day trip to the north end of the lake. Wow! what a trip!

Saturday morning was an adventure. I honestly cannot believe that people are not taking advantage of the $50 bounty on coyotes around Bullfrog!! There are enough dogs in that area to easily pay for fuel, food, lodging, bullets......yikes!!

We knew the wind was on it's way. We hum-hawed a bit, then said "the he11 with it! Let's go!" Boats loaded up, and off we went across Bullfrog Bay. It really wasn't bad, and once we left the bay and headed north into the main channel the ride wasn't bad at all. Good Hope was fun: the waves were coming across the bay, so we had some splashing to deal with, but nothing bad considering the forecast for high winds.

We found ourselves a nice spot to beach the boats in Four Mile around the island. Tumbleweeds and stickers (as advertised) were bad, but we cleared out a nice level spot and had a nice camp protected from the winds.

The rest of Saturday was spent fishing the humps from the mouth of Trachyte east towards the mudline at the mouth of White. Fishing was certainly not fast and furious. Well, maybe furious -- just not fast. We had to work for the fish, which made the trip that much better. We ended Saturday with 17 stripers trolled between the 3 of us. On our way back to camp (Two Mile) we trolled up two small stripers in the pinch point before the island -- then the school arrived on the sonar below the boat where two more fish were spooned up before the school disappeared. We never found those stripers in Two Mile again on this trip. Winds made spooning difficult. No boils seen on Saturday. Fish all were cut from the same mold -- about 20" on average. These fish are in the best shape I have ever seen stripers at Lake Powell. FAT. STRONG! Fun as he11 on a fishing rod!!

Sunday morning was a dark, overcast day. The threat of rain was constant, but only produced one mild sprinkle for a few minutes in the morning. Mount Hillers and Mount Holmes both stayed hidden all day behind a curtain of gray. Again, winds made spooning difficult. However, a few fish were spooned from the canyons (47 feet)off the humps (10 feet) between Trachyte and White. Trolling again produced fish -- for the most part, if we weren't bumping bottom, we weren't catching fish.

Another good spot that we found fish on Sunday was in Two Mile. Towards the back of the canyon is an old cottonwood laying on it's side on the shore. We hit 4 stripers trolling past this pinch-point, then started spooning and brought in a few more. We could not see the fish on the sonar, but this spot turned into a nice "go to" spot the rest of our trip. These fish were a bit smaller (17") than those found out from Trachyte.

Sunday brought numerous fish, including two 20" walleye, to the boat. The fillets on these fish are fantastic! Nice thick fillets, even on those 22" fish that typically look half starved. Again, the fight these fish bring to the table is IMPRESSIVE! No boils found.

Monday brought some very pleasant north breezes. We just couldn't win with the wind. By now, the front had passed and the temps were noticeably cooler. Mount Hillers and Holmes showed up again Monday, but Hillers had white stuff all over on the top. Trolling was slow on Monday. In fact, it was downright tough. We ended up back in Two Mile (the "go to" spot) where we finally spooned up some stripers. By noon we had to say goodbye to Richard -- he was headed to Good Hope to meet up with the rest of the DWR cronies to go fish with those silly nets. Dad and I went back to work using our rods. Trolling picked up that afternoon (again, from Trachyte to White). As long as we were bumping bottom, we were catching fish. The best trolling lures of the trip seemed to be any of the longer skinny (deep thunder sticks and wally divers) type cranks. We caught fish on other cranks as well, but any brand pencil lures seemed to produce a bit better.

By late afternoon Monday we decided that we should go fillet some fish to reduce our workload that evening in the dark. This is when things got interesting! We decided to pull up in the first cove on the north side of Trachyte -- a spot we thought would be well protected from the wind. WRONG! The wind just would not let up. But, low and behold, at 3:30 pm, a boil erupted in that bay as we were pulling in. Finally!! In the wind. Seagulls going crazy picking off shad from the surface, and stripers busting the surface near the shoreline. We were right in the middle of it. Two casts, two doubles -- the only problem is that the way these fish fight we couldn't just bring them in and and get the next rod out! These fish FIGHT! The boil slowed after 4 fish were brought to the boat -- but that wasn't the end. For the next 45 minutes that bay continued to show activity with a small boil on this side, then another on that side, then another in the middle. Casting, trolling, wishing -- we were catching fish. After 4:15, the activity calmed and the school disappeared.

One word of caution: the mouth of that bay in Trachyte (mouth and east side) have some VERY shallow (3 feet) spots -- be cautious boating into this bay. We tried to stay to the west edge where depths were better. Take a look at Google Earth right now, and you can see the islands, which are submerged by 3 feet of water right now. We had nothing to mark these spots to warn other boaters:
Google Earth
Lat: 37°49'26.58"N
Long: 110°27'37.78"W

Monday evening really capped the trip -- that boil was crazy! We ended up filleting our fish in the dark -- just like we had planned not too. When fishing is good, plans go out the window!

Tuesday morning was spent picking up camp and packing up the boat. We stopped in at Good Hope (Blue Notch, Red Canyon) to drop off a few things to those silly DWR guys using nets to catch fish, then headed off south back to Bullfrog. Shorts and T-shirts were the attire for the boat ramp, as Tuesday's weather was beautiful. A call back home (Cedar City) warned of cold temps, and white stuff in the foothills. So, the jeans were put on, with sweatshirt in anticipation of unloading the gear after dark. Dang. We should have stayed another day. Week. Heck, why go back home at all?

All in all, what a fantastic trip. I'm glad we did not postpone. We had the lake nearly to ourselves (a few other boats were around, but not many). I sure like that place in November!

Here are a few pictures -- sorry for the lack of fish pictures. When fishing was good, there just wasn't enough hands for both a camera and a rod! (I should have a few more fish pics in a day or two that I can add...)

[Image: IMG_9704_zps888cf5be.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9716_zps728a4631.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9735_zpsbe979545.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9758_zps2159bf48.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9757_zpscc12c8cc.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9717_a_zps1f160d89.jpg]

*I did attempt an experiment. I wanted to see if I could drive my boat from Good Hope to Bullfrog in reverse. I've heard of other people doing this -- and it amazes me that anyone in their right mind would ever attempt it. I made it about 100 yards before saying "screw this!". I then put it in "F" and went forward the rest of the way. Good times!
[signature]
How was the invasive mussel situation?
[signature]
Awesome report and pics. Nice to hear about the northern area of lake powell.
[signature]
Why would you put your boat in reverse?
[signature]
Because your shifter is broken. Bout had this happento me with a 35 hp johnson at the mouth of the San Jaun. I did see a pontoon boat going in reverse near dangling rope for this very reason. His cable was probably broken. In my case the gears were getting worn. Time for a new motor.
[signature]
Couldn't agree more with the statement of "why go home at all" after an epic trip like that. Enjoy the eats as much as the memories!
[signature]
I do not think you can discharge a weapon around Bullfrog?

Why did YOU want to drive your boat to Bullfrog in reverse?
[signature]
[quote SBennett]
Why did YOU want to drive your boat to Bullfrog in reverse?[/quote]

I suspect he was trying to channel his inner "Cliff".
[signature]
I almost never reply, but I had to say thanks for such a great report!! There are few reports like this that give such informative details. Many reports only show pretty pics and no methods. Others only say that it was a bad or good day with no details. I just quickly glance at those and move on. I was able to learn a great deal from your techniques, including the information that was not positive or inconclusive. Many reports I read don't ring true. Maybe it is the lack of details or only reporting the good. This report seemed like one that would happen to me. I have fished this area, but usually spend more time in the canyons south of Good Hope. These are the types of reports that make we want to return to the forums to read the posts. It is worth multiple re-reads. (nice pics, by the way). Thank you!!!
[signature]
[quote SBennett]I do not think you can discharge a weapon around Bullfrog? [/quote]

hunting inside the GCNRA is legal, as long as what you are hunting is in season and you have a permit (which isn't required for 'yotes). Now, hunting in the campground, or around the marina would certainly be a no-no. But there is no reason why you couldn't hunt those dogs over the hill and away from any structures. And, I'll bet those dogs are dumb.

[quote SBennett]
Why did YOU want to drive your boat to Bullfrog in reverse?[/quote]

[quote doggonefishin]

I suspect he was trying to channel his inner "Cliff".[/quote]

I just couldn't do it. No matter how many times I said "mojo dropshot, mojo dropshot, mojo dropshot" I just couldn't get myself into that zone. I think next up on my bucket list is to switch the cable around so that "F" goes reverse and "R" goes forward. I imagine that's an exciting day on the water!!
[signature]
[quote PBH]
I just couldn't do it. No matter how many times I said "mojo dropshot, mojo dropshot, mojo dropshot" I just couldn't get myself into that zone. I think next up on my bucket list is to switch the cable around so that "F" goes reverse and "R" goes forward. I imagine that's an exciting day on the water!![/quote]

Don't you have to rant about people keeping too many bass and cuss out the DWR before it will really work? The last part may be especially difficult, but think about option 2 or something like that and you may yet get in the "zone".
[signature]
[quote PBH]
I just couldn't do it. No matter how many times I said "mojo dropshot, mojo dropshot, mojo dropshot" I just couldn't get myself into that zone. I think next up on my bucket list is to switch the cable around so that "F" goes reverse and "R" goes forward. I imagine that's an exciting day on the water!![/quote]

Switch the cables then let an unsuspecting person do the piloting. [sly] That would be an exciting day on the water watching the unsuspecting person try to figure out what was wrong....[Wink]
[signature]
Good to know, thank you.
[signature]
Nice detailed report and pics PBH, thanks for sharing it with us.
[signature]
[quote doggonefishin]

Don't you have to rant about people keeping too many bass and cuss out the DWR before it will really work? The last part may be especially difficult, but think about option 2 or something like that and you may yet get in the "zone".[/quote]

I actually worked very hard at trying to get into that "zone":
We pulled over to where the DWR was pulling gill nets in Good Hope. We sat and watched -- and heckled -- as they picked fish from the nets. I cracked open a Coke, and ate a couple cookies while Don and Richard worked those nets. They weren't doing it right, and all they were getting in the nets were little fish. I tried to tell them that they should have put the net in a different location -- a spot were I always catch big fish. But they wouldn't listen. I kept telling them they were doing it all wrong. Heck, I even suggested that if they would stock chubs in Powell, then we'd really have a good prey base for the bass. But it all just fell on deaf ears. BUT THAT WAS A GOOD THING, right? Isn't that how you get into that mojo-zone??

[Image: IMG_9760_C_zps2ccad8aa.jpg]

Still didn't work. That's a tough "zone" to enter -- but [I've heard] once you're in it, you never leave it!
[signature]
[quote PBH]
Still didn't work. That's a tough "zone" to enter -- but [I've heard] once you're in it, you never leave it![/quote]

A valiant effort, but some things are just not meant to be. And that IS probably a good thing.
[signature]