Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Browns
I was cleaning some gear and found the old Ray Johnson Flaming Gorge map. This gave me the bug so I found his old book Big Trout and started reading it. Man they caught some big browns there. I wish I could have been apart of that. I can't believe how many big browns were caught. I wish the state would plant some browns in some of our lakes with the forage fish and manage it as a trophy fishery. I wish they would use browns instead of cutthroats to control chubs.[fishon]
[signature]
Amen to the use of Brown trout for chub control instead of those lame cutts.
[signature]
+1
[signature]
Lots of wishin in there.[cool]
[signature]
Yup. Bringhurst and the "Brown Baggers" caught some dandies. Remember though, there were way more chubs and way fewer lake trout back then.
I do agree though, brown trout would make a much more rewarding quarry than those cutts. But Utah is stocking browns in lots of stillwaters nowadays. Just look at the stocking reports and start searching out your fish!

Otter Creek, Brough, Cottonwood, etc, etc.
[signature]
I should have been more clear.

I meant using browns for chub control at Strawberry appeals to me more than the lame cutts being used to control chubs at Strawberry.
[signature]
[quote SBennett]I should have been more clear.

I meant using browns for chub control at Strawberry appeals to me more than the lame cutts being used to control chubs at Strawberry.[/quote]

I don't think chub control is what you are looking for at all. If it was, then I believe wipers would be the fish of choice.

But, in all honestly, how can you argue with the current management at Strawberry? The fish up there are fantastic. Why screw up a good thing?
[signature]
Fantastic? I strongly disagree.
Good? I agree whole heartedly.

I agree with your approval of a few wipers being placed in Strawberry, just for the fun of it.
[signature]
+1
[signature]
Native fish will always win out over non-native fish in Strawberry.
[signature]
Then please explain why it is ok to plant rainbows in Strawberry?
[signature]
If it keeps strains of cutts off the endangered species lists, (which would make fishing utah much more problematic), cutts over browns any day.

Head to head, i prefer to catch browns, but eat Cutts. Still, neither are perch......
[signature]
+1
[signature]
Sincerely curious. What would your realistic idea of fantastic be?

Oh, and I would be for a handful of Tiger Muskie in there for chub control. [cool]
[signature]
+1
[signature]
.....and it's a dirty shame!
[signature]
I'll play.....

A few years ago Starvation was near perfect. Big perch for the summer and hard deck. Big browns and big walleye for the hard core. Hard smashing bows for the casual crew and fly guys. Eater walleyes begging to be put in the pan. And smallies the size of carp. The only thing missing were bluegill.

Fish Lake has potential if saugeye are added to balance the perch.
Bows and splake for the pop gear pullers. Big macs and muskys for the trophy crowd. And now kokes, I'm as giddy as a school girl!
The only thing missing is a lakehouse with boat lift and my name on the deed.

Powell is number 3. Almost everything for everyone. Ban or provide a brain for each driver of the power squadron, find a fish that will grow past 10 lbs. AND cooperate during the winter months, and sell me gas for .99 cents/gallon and we have a deal!

And last but not least, Strawberry.
Do exactly what PBH said and add wipers with a few tiger musky threw in that the other gentlemen suggested. If only 15 inch perch could be balanced and not upset everything. HEAVEN!!!!!!!
[signature]
So your ideal is a very large amount of diversity. Got it.

BTW, it was me that suggested tiger muskie.
[signature]
I think your suggestion of muskie was excellent.
[signature]
Hey, just curious if they list any of their techniques, lures, or baits in that book, that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Anybody else willing to share some info on how to specifically target large browns?

Thanks for any info.
[signature]