Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carb float adjustment question
Anyone know of a website that provides the correct height measurement for carb floats? I thought I had my motor back to normal, but I found on Strawberry today that it spits and sputters and ultimately dies followed by gas coming out of the carbs, when I had the carbs out to clean them, I suspect I bumped the float such that it is flooding, but when I had them apart I couldn't find what the right adjustment is for the floats online so I didn't mess with them. Again I don't know how it can run good at home and once you get on the lake it runs like crap. To add insult to injury, the fishing at Strawberry was awful! We only caught one fish!
[signature]
Bummer on the fishin'.

Send a PM to geezer, he may have a few ideas for you.
[signature]

go to google and and type in, mercury boat motor float level, and you will get a bunch of hits, even a you tube video that might help.
[signature]
If you have'nt messed with it it's not the float level, replace the needle and seat.
[signature]
I googled and youtubed the heck out of it, but couldn't find my carbs anywhere online. I didn't mess with the floats per se but I had removed the float to inspect the needle. I'm really not sure if that's the issue, it ran fine at my house, when I got to strawberry it would start but wouldn't hit "high idle" for the warm up and the next thing I know it's dripping gas from the carbs, but that may be because I had to keep using the choke to keep the motor running, that may have caused the flooding, I'm not sure. The carbs didn't sound right either, it sounded like there was an air leak or something.
[signature]
So I hooked the hose to my motor today and fired up my boat and it ran perfect, just like it did before I took it to Strawberry. I live at a 4800 elevation, Strawberry is 7600, could that be the problem? The best it did at Strawberry was roughly idle, I couldn't put any throttle on it.
[signature]
I was having issues with my motor that when it was put into gear it would stall out. Geezer went in and checked the fuel pump and found it was intalled by someone previously backwards.
[signature]
I guess anything is possible...especially since I was the one that rebuilt my fuel pump, but like I said, today it ran perfect when the hose was hooked up.
[signature]
That is what mine was doing as well. Ran great at home then issues on the water.
[signature]
What brand and HP motor are we talking about? I have a 200 hp Merc carb. that I've wondered about sometimes but every single time it ended up being this crap ethanol gas that I run through it. A treatment of Sea Foam and high octane or ethanol free gas has always fixed it. I finally learned my lesson.
She would scream with the muffs on but under a load on the water she would hesitate getting up on plane. Put ethanol free gas in and some Sea Foam...perfect. I'm a little dumb so it took me a while to actually accept the fact that ethanol really does mess up a carb motor. I imagine EFI is no different.
If the needle is clean the float should sit at normal height. IDK what kind of motor we are talking about yet. My baby is at Lee's Marine right now getting winterized and wrapped. Lee is a Mercury genius and I'm sure he could tackle any motor or point you in the right direction. I'm not sure what the forum rules are on this but just do a Google search for Lee's Marine. Tell him John Stevenson referred you.
[signature]
Thanks man. It's a 1998 Mariner 125 horse, 2 stroke, oil injected.
[signature]