Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reel Mods Using Magnets
Aloha To All of You From Hawaii,<br><br>I'm looking for anyone who might be able to help me modify my conventional reels. I have 2 Penn 500 Jigmasters and 1 Penn High Speed 3/0. I'm looking to use rare earth magnets to help control backlash and make it so that it is a thumbless cast reel. I saw some stuff on the internet where some guys were doing it with Penn squidders and 500's, but the their directions were kind of fuzzy. Has anyone here tried? Does it work with the new aluminum spools? Does anyone have pictures or diagrams that might help me?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Lost and Confused Allan<br><br>
I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb quastion but............ WHY BOTHER??????<br><br>Educate your thumb and learn to cast, practice, practice, practice!<br><br>Not an attempt to give you a bad time here... I'm being serious hit the beach and practice, you'll save a lot of money and aggravation and have less to go wrong with your gear if you keep it simple.<br><br>There are better reels out there for casting but a guy can sail a 4 oz jig quite a ways with the right stick and a penn 500, that's all I used for years.<br><br>
Been there done that Allen. lol (not to mention divorced twice)<br>There are some great conventional reels out there that do cast a lot better than 500s even ones that have been modified with bearings vs bushings.<br>I'm not well versed in all types of reels bit one of the longest casting ones is the Avely from the land down under, our Aussie mates are almost able to put a lead into low orbit with them.<br>One of the other big factors in gettin distance is the right kind of line, possibly your line is stiffer than it should be so it jumps off the spool rather than flows.<br><br>Just a thought.<br><br>
JAPANRON posted an easy way that works to undo thoes birdnests . put your thumb on the birdsnest and spool , apply pressure to it and pull on your line from the guide , like magic it comes undone !

i've tried it and it works !
[signature]