Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's
Agreed, no Mutant Hybrids[Smile]
[signature]
And people wonder why pressure is up and fish size is down [Wink] Nice fish though.
[signature]
I don't believe the pressure is up . I believe a lot of people have quit fishing it because the average size has been down . The lake is way over populated . They plant to many and the natural reproduction is higher than it has been in years .they repaired access to some of the creeks so reproduction is way up .
[signature]
Alrighty then.
[signature]
[quote brookieguy1]Sizes are down due to overstocking...[/quote]

[quote curt69]There are to many fish in the lake and not enough food . .[/quote]

[quote curt69]The lake is way over populated . They plant to many and the natural reproduction is higher than it has been in years . .[/quote]

[quote brookieguy1]Hopefully a slot limit will ensue as well as the two fish limit.
Only one fish over 20" and one under![/quote]

[quote curt69] I think if we want a slot it should be 1 over 20 and one under or 2 under 20 .[/quote]

Curt / Brookie -- I don't get you guys. Both of you understand the current problem up there -- too many fish. But then both of you appear to be asking for a slot limit that protects fish? come on you guys -- if you have too many fish in a lake, you don't protect fish to increase quality! If there are too many fish, then you should be asking for 1 or 2 things:

1. Reduce stocking.
2. Liberalize harvest
3. combination of 1 + 2

You don't get bigger fish in an overpopulated fishery by protecting fish. You get smaller fish when you protect fish in an overpopulated fishery.

If you want bigger fish back in Henry's you need to reduce the number of fish in that lake. Harvest more (including the "big ones"). Reduce stocking. Publicize the hell out of it in an attempt to help increase mortality.
[signature]
I agree 100 percent and I have said that over and over again but no body wants to hear that . They should open the lake for ice fishing until April 1 and raise the limit until they get the lake back in balance . They plant more than a million fish . 750,000 Cutthroughts .
[signature]
Oh contraire Curt. Everyone is hearing you, but you are missing a few good points.
The removing the dam on the canal releasing more fish then expected was a one shot deal. It doesn't keep happening. That has been adjusted for a couple years back when it happened.
The stocking #'s has been brought up and I am sure Damon will get it adjusted.
By extending it to April 1st to get it under control, so once under control you close it again on January 1st ? Specially when the majority of this problem started by extending it first to the end on November, then extending it to Jan 1st. So Yeah, lets add a few more months!?[crazy]
Just keep your limit....everyone.
Just open it year round at this point. Seriously, it will never be the 30+" fish again, or at least a very long time.
[signature]
I fished 4 hours today , not 1 bite . Drove around the lake . Less than 15 people on the ice . No one at Wildrose , the hatchery or the State Park . 1 group at Stayleys , 1 at Pintail .3 at County . Oh it's getting a lot of presure .
[signature]
Really! Guess I was wrong.[crazy]
One day tells all....[laugh] one fish? With all those fish you just mentioned? Wonder what happened to them all.
[signature]
Today was my first time out . I can only report what I seen . If you want me to make stuff up I can .
[signature]
?? I truly have no idea how to respond to that????
[signature]
Three years ago at the county, tens of thousands dead at the ramp. F&G sent a newbie out to scoop them up the next day before anyone could see the carnage. Every fish I caught this year was plump. Food is not scarce on the lake but oxygen is at low lake levels. I did catch more chubs than ever before as well. Regulars, the guys who fish the west side every day were having a tough year. They said the fish were there but not biting... Or are they feeding differently?
[signature]
PBH, Stocking numbers will be going down. Damon will see to that. I would just rather see fewer "baby seals" being taken from the pool. One fish over 20" along with another under 20 per day should be plenty for anybody. The lower stocking numbers will adjust the food availability. I would just like a few more of the big fish left to fill the gap until the young ones can grow up. But, perhaps just lowering the stocking numbers will be enough. I'm confident it's going to help on our southern regions for brook trout.
[signature]
I have always thought that they should have something like your one over 20 and one under limit. Or one over 20 and one under 16 or two under 16. That keeps some of the bigger fish there to eat the chubs. Then keep it open through Feb or March .
[signature]
Look at the Idaho forum . There were some very nice fish caught yesterday .
[signature]
Wouldn't it be better to have a no fish over 20 and 5 or 6 under, if its going to be a trophy fishery again the big fish need protected and the little ones reduced. I would really hate to see it close the end of November as i love ice fishing there Just a fantastic place to get away.
[signature]
[quote curt69]Look at the Idaho forum . There were some very nice fish caught yesterday .[/quote]

No doubt they are nice. And they could be the normal for that lake for awhile. Everyone, keep your limit.
Flyfishingfool delivers every time he hits the water.
But then he is from Idaho....[Smile]
[signature]
[quote drowning_flys]Wouldn't it be better to have a no fish over 20 and 5 or 6 under, if its going to be a trophy fishery again the big fish need protected and the little ones reduced. [/quote]

this here ^^ is a problem. The problem is that the majority of anglers simply do not understand fish biology. So they come up with a "deer" type management idea: protect the big ones.

the problem with this is that you never end up with any big fish to protect, and thus your slot is no good. If you have too many fish, average size will continue to go down. Eventually, you have a lake full of small fish with NO big fish to protect.

Get the population size down. How do you do that?

A. reduce stocking
B. if reduction in stocking isn't enough, then you must increase harvest. You cannot increase harvest by protecting fish.
[signature]
I tried to google the location but could not find it. Could you post location or pm me with directions. Thanks in advance i have ice fever.........
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]You are applying the wrong principles to the lake. Only 10,000 of the million fish planted survive to be catchable. And only 500 of those make it to the 7+ year age class. The fish caught yesterday were healthy from a great food supply. Large fish feed on the small fish in this food chain. Reducing stocking numbers will not support the trophy trout population but quite the opposite.[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]