Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spooling spinning real with mono sans twist - a dumb idea?
I've never had issues putting new mono onto my spinning reels. Then again, I've never stepped up past 6lb test since I've always been a trout fisherman.

Put some 10lb mono on a reel to go onto my medium rod because I wanted to start targeting catfish. Wow! Now I know why everyone complains about line twist with spinning reels.

Even cutting the line off the spool after getting enough onto the reel and letting it all out before reeling back in didn't fix the problem.

So I had a weird idea. What if I tied one end of the 100 ft or so of 10lb mono to a ball bearing swivel, clipped it onto something stationary, and walked the line out to its full length before tying it to my reel and reeling it in. Would that allow for the line to untwist as I reel?
[signature]
I'm no expert on installing line but I remember reading that it has to do with how you install the line. From what I remember when you install line, it has to come off the spool in the right direction, if it comes off the wrong direction you get line twist. Basically the line needs to go in the reel spool the same as it comes off the line spool. Your idea might work but you might need to leave the line stretched out for a few days to get it to uncurl. You could also call one of the guys at one of the sporting goods stores that installs line on your reel. Hopefully someone else can give you a better answer but that is all I got.
[signature]
I was told you need to lay the spool of line label side up on the ground and reel it off that way. It seems to work 9 out of 10 times with no twist issues. If it starts to twist I flip the spool over and it usually stops.
[signature]
I've never solved this mystery, either. I've tried holding the line spool up to the reel to match which way the line goes on. I've tried simply winding line on with the label up - and also with it down. I've tried winding it on, then walking all of it out on the ground and winding it back in.

and I STILL get line twist.

The best answer I've found is to take the newly spooled rod out in my boat, let all the line out with nothing on the end and troll the bare line around for 15 minutes.

It also helps a lot to buy good mono. That bulk spool stuff in the bottom tray at Wallie World is NOT it.
[signature]
Even if you get it on the reel without twisting, mono develops memory and you get coiling which is even worse IMO especially if using light jigs. I always stretch my line before fishing by hooking it to my truck bumper and walking the required distant with my reel set to a light drag. Stops the coils and loops just fine. Also solves line twist.
[signature]
wiper hunter is correct I have found a way to get rid of MOST of the twist first do not run your line through all the guides use only the last one closest to the spool pinch the line with your thumb and forfinger and slowly crank the reel making sure you have a good grip on the line,the reason for this is the longer away the line spool you are the more rotations it takes to load the reel aka line twist also if you are fishing mono take about 75 yards off and tie it to something and stretch our your line gives you and extra 25 feet or so of casting this trick has helped me for years I never have a problem with spooling my reels if I can help ya pm me thanks scotty
[signature]
I have always spooled all of my reels by putting a rod of some sort through the hole in the center of the spool and taking the line off the spool as the spool rotates. I have never had any problems with the lline twisting.
[signature]
Pretty sure it's Berkley Trilene... I dunno, I don't remember. I've always used the Zebco stuff from WalMart when I fished mono and it's always worked great for me.

Anyway, I'll try stretching it, thanks for the tip!
[signature]
The most important thing that I've done in reducing tangles and bird's nests with spinning reels doesn't even have to do with putting line on the reel. If you manually close the bail before your bait hits the water, you will hardly ever get tangles. It's just like with a bait casting reel. If you let the lure hit the water before closing the bail, you will get slack on the spool and it well lead to tangles later.

I also use a line conditioner and I don't over fill the spool.

By doing these things I went from at least one or two nasty tangles a trip to none this entire year that I can recall.
[signature]