Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
making own lures
This may seem like a silly question, taking in account the forum I'm posting it on, but I'd like to start making my own lures and need information as to where to find blanks, eyes, split-rings, treble hooks, etc. Somewhere out there is a place, or places, that has everything I need (I'll supply the enthusiasm) to get started. Any suggestions?
[signature]
Hey John, most of the eyes, split rings and stuff like that can be found through some of our advertisers here on the sides of the board. Whatever they don't have could most likely be found at Cabelas.
[signature]
Cabella's, my all-time favorite spot in Nebraska. The place I have to leave my checkbook and credit cards at home, or at least locked safely in my truck. I'll start checking out the ads. Thanks.
[signature]
on our shopping bar , go dopwn to the freshwater and open it , it will show several catigorys that can assist you in locating exzactley what your looking for .
i've been doing the same thing myself .it helps pass the winter hours and i can't wait to test out some of the lures i'm making to see if they will catch more than the big ones in my hopes .
how about posting the pics of a few finished products or a step by step photo story of your endeviors ?
[signature]
That is kind of a standard rule here. You can say all you want, but if there are no pics then it is just heresay. LOL
[signature]
At Gander Mountain in their holiday gift section they were selling "Make-Your-Own Wooden Lure" sets but they sold out before I had the money. Wish I would have written down the makers of the kit. The hooks and split rings can be found anywhere.

Thanks for reminding me! I've got several lures retrieved from an underwater log that need to be cleaned up and rejuvenated. Something I can work on in my spare time.
[signature]

Hey there johnincolorado,

One larger than life entity at BFT 'TubeDude' just might be able to help you out with a PM on all aspects of lure making.

TubeN2 was on the money in saying that there are some of our advertisers that will serve you well. Hope you're not lazy (no insult intended) and take the time to check them out.

If you've checked us out and all else fails, the sites http://www.luremakers.com and http://www.UMakeLures.com may be of help.

JapanRon
[signature]
An excellent idea, Lonehunter. As I consider myself better than a fair writer and take my own photos, an excellent idea indeed. Watch for me here.

On another note, I'd like to make a lure so ugly, so wobbly, so gaudy that the fish will be fighting each other just to take it out of the gene pool. Then to craft a second one so finely tuned and attractive that the fish will be fighting each other just to take a swipe at it. A state record lake trout is waiting for me. Of course after measuring, weighing and taking a few pictures, I'd release it back into the brood pool. I only keep a couple of the smaller ones for the grill. Yum, yum!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Lazy, I'm not, JapanRon. But I am a charter member of The procrastinator's Club with a lifetime membership. ~Wink. (The ~ indicates the few hairs I have left on my head, sides not included).

As I have an incredible number of fresh water species to choose from (trout, pike, lake trout, catfish, walleye, saugeye, bass, etc), It'll be a very long time before I run out of projects. Who knows, this just might turn into a third career for me. Luckily, I don't have a spouse to nag me about spending too much time or money on this new project. Got rid of the last one when she refused to go fishing with me. I mean, what's the snow, ice or sub-zero temps got to do with anything? That's what snow suits are for, aren't they?

And I have an equally incredible number of fishing holes I haven't tried yet. Just not enough hours in the day, week, month or year for me to visit them all -- yet.
[signature]
The procrastinator's Club ? i thought about joining it but just haven't had the time yet [crazy].
[signature]
I thought about starting a local chapter but haven't gotten around to it yet, maybe next year.
[signature]
I am not only a member, I am an owner. one of these days I am going to send all you guys applications to join, just as soon as I process my own membership app.[sly]

I like wittling fishing pencils. I made one so gawdy it flew a hundred and twenty yards on the first cast. a 10 inch bass hit it, and could not pull it under the water. the more I used it the farther it would cast. It just kept getting heaver each time I casted it. I guess I should have gotten around to painting that plug. and maybe made it out of something lighter than cedar.[shocked]
[signature]
Interesting, whittling my own lures. I guess I can take a piece of wood and remove everything that doesn't resemble the mental picture I wrote down on paper. [Tongue]. I do remember making a lure for lingcod once out of a stainless steel bar. Never did get it to float. Yes, I did live in California for a while, like 22 years or so. Went fishing out of SF and Santa Cruz plenty of times. Now I fish for species that I can eat and can't eat me.

I did receive an interesting email last week, from PETA. They were offering me a discounted membership rate and wanted my support in suing to stop all fishing and hunting, as it hurt the fish and animals. (Tears ran down my cheeks as I read it, from laughter). Oh, what I'd give to sit down one-on-one with just one of them for an hour. I'd have them rushing to the sporting goods store to buy fishing equipment, or advocating bringing back the guillotine. That that was a clean cut execution.

Now there are dyed-in-the-wool bass fisherpersons (a politically correct term), trout, pike, catfish, walleye and every other species but I consider myself a nomad, drifting from one species to another, as they bite. Yes, I have caught a nice seven pound bass, once. I was about ten years old, fishing a minnow under a float around some brush. The darned thing broke my rod but I sure had fun and a Smile on my face a plastic surgeon couldn't remove. Luckily, fisherpersons may have a lively debate, or an argument, about the pros and cons of different species and the correct method to entice them to bite but we don't resort to armed warfare or hand-to-hand combat. So that got me to thinking, if we taught every man, woman, and child in the world to fish, would that end warfare? Should we make it a Constitutional condition that all Presidential candidates fish on a regular basis and declare their species of choice?

End of ramblings.
[signature]
sounds good to me,

any president who will take the time to go blue gill fishing will get my vote..[Wink] that is because it is the little tings in life that make the every day bearable.
[signature]
hey john , i can see from your post you've led a sheltered life [crazy] .
ya' gotta come up here some time so i can get you aquanted with the finer tactics used in what we call "COMBAT FISHING ".
after a winter of armchair fishing shows , fair weather fishermen bust out of there cocoons and head strait to the riverbanks. unable to remember the techniques in scouting for fish they look for the seasoned winter angler that is already landing a few .
first there's one (usually with potato chip crumbs and chip dip stains on his shirt ) , he's the guy that wants to be the early bird . then comes his buddy , then another . this usually continues on untill they have all brought everyone and there brothers as well .
soon you can't get a cast in without knocking the other guys hat off .
you really don't feel like apoligising to the intruders since you were the first angler there .
as bubba scrambles downriver tring to retrive his lucky fishing cap , another slips into his place . instinctivley , intentionally , you concider and do it again . off goes another delbert in search of his cap , and another offender slips in .
time after time , hats fly , soon the gomers realise that it's unwise to fish near a grumpy old coot who keeps knocking off everyones prised hats .
finally you are left all alone , the guys have all left the area , so have the fish too . you cast anyway , it's your fishing spot and you've protected it unwaveringly .
combat fishing , sometimes catching fish isn't the best part of the trip , the satisfaction of knowing you gave it your all is .[cool]
tee hee heee !
[signature]
Hehe. This reminds me of the "inspirational" speech I gave in my college Public Speaking class. I wrote it while the others students were giving their speeches. My title? "Why You Must Procrastinate". I proceeded to tell them how great procrastinating is and how it can improve their life. [cool][Tongue]

Went back to Gander Mountain today and they had some returns on them Make-Your-Own-Lure kits so I picked one up! I'll hafta take a pic and post them as I get the lures made.

Here's the kit!

[Image: 84000101.jpg]
[signature]
i've gotta find one around here ! sweet ! did g.m. still haVE there end of year sale still on ?
[signature]
Also check Jann's Netcraft.
[signature]

Hey there DrownedDesertRat,

You gotta love those retro 30's, 40's, and 50's designs on that kit box. Sometimes those pictures were made by people in Japan or Taiwan who never fished or saw such a scene in their lives! ha ha ha

In my Photoshop, Illustrator and QuarkExpress classes I loved making pictures and animations out of old travel ads and postage stamps, etc.

Can everyone name the five lures represented on the box? I see the bass-o-reno how about the others?

JapanRon
[signature]
I used to have those very same lures in my box way too many moons ago.
[signature]