Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter River Fishing Tips
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, just stumbled across it while looking for fishing reports one day. I'm primarily a still water fly fisherman, I use a pontoon boat, but I get occasionally hit up rivers when I'm not in the mood to deal with getting the boats ready. For the first time last year I gave the local rivers a shot in the winter (I'm from Cache Valley), but I didn't have much luck. Any tips for river fishing in the winter? I mostly fished nymphs when I tried, are there any patterns/ techniques that are better for less active winter fish?

Thanks!
[signature]
Find the deeper, slower pools and make sure to fish them right on the bottom. Also, don't be afraid to use streamers. I've had days saved last winter using white wooly buggers and zonkers through those same pools.

On good days you'll get some spectacular midge hatches and the fish will be rising everywhere. It just comes down to timing and place. Good luck!
[signature]
On Blacksmith Fork and the Logan I've had good luck using a #12-14 hares ear, #10-#14 prince nymph, #10-12 Montana Nymph, #12-16 sow bug, #8-10 San Juan worm in wine/claret color fished right on the bottom in the pools like Troutman93 said. Just concentrate on the pools this time of year because that is where the fish are going to spend the winter. Make sure you drift it through the pools several times because the fish are not very active and it may take them awhile before they get interested. Mostly browns, cutthroats, and white fish. Both are great trout streams and neither one ice up to the point that you can't find somewhere to fish all winter.
Good luck!
[signature]
The one thing that seems to be a day saver for me is to think small. Midge larva in sizes 22-28 have been the ticket many times. Get them down deep and be very grateful for the much maligned white fish.

Good luck.
[signature]
Fish the blacksmith fork. Advice already given is pretty solid, so I won't repeat it. If I can recommend some awesome winter patterns: scuds, San juans, and any egg pattern will work just fine. Water is clear and fish can be spooky, just take your time.

Keep some small (18-20) midge/mayfly imitations on standby, those fish can't help themselves when it's presented just right....

Also, bring hand warmers, that canyon can get cold pretty quickly.
[signature]
All Good tips, thank you. Hopefully I'll have more luck this year than I did last year!
[signature]
Type this "dynamic nymphing" into the search bar at youtube and you'll be learning and watching for a long long time.

PS Don't overlook soft hackles in the winter either.
[signature]
I second showing the whitefish some love. There are a lot of good sized ones in the Blacksmith and they can often keep you busy on slower winter days.
[signature]
Starting in January and February I will use a bright orange micro egg. White fish spawn at that time of year and they have very small very orange eggs. All other patterns listed are great to have i. The box too.
[signature]
By using a pontoon boat is enough, but in winter season, the water too cold. So you should to fishing in other season. But no problem in winter season. You should must have to know the [url "http://fishingnew.com"]fishing tips[/url]
So, you can easily do it. For the first time, you will enjoy most, I think.
[url "http://fishingnew.com"][/url]
[signature]