Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fins with my toon?
Ok, I used to have fins with my float tube, do I need them with my toon? No motor just oars, but still use fins? Was thinking of wearing flats boots with them if I need them. Thoughts?
[signature]
Fins come in handy when fighting a fish (both hands free and adjusting/ turning to face it) and for holding position in a small current/wind. Much more complicated to do that with just oars.

Hope this helps.

PM

[quote remo_5_0]Ok, I used to have fins with my float tube, do I need them with my toon? No motor just oars, but still use fins? Was thinking of wearing flats boots with them if I need them. Thoughts?[/quote]
[signature]
Flats boots would work great with your fins and there is no down side to having fins on while tooning around. You will be able to maintain a steady slow motion and have hands on the ready to set on a strike. So oars to get you where you want to be and fins to keep you there.
[signature]
Ya, just ordered some closeout boots from NRS, will get some fins.
[signature]
NRS booties are great with a toon -- easier getting in and out of fins and lighter and a little warmer than wading boots. Booties are all I've used for a couple of years.

Fins are a big plus on a toon because you can maneuver while keeping both hands free. I only use oars to cover long distances quickly; otherwise, I'm finning the rest of the day.
[signature]
Should be all set here shortly, fins and a life jacket are all that's left, will order some this week. Got these NrS shoes.
[signature]
Depending on the fins, some you can just wear you regular wading boots. What I have been using all along. But some fins have the pocket which can get very small with some wading boots. We use the Omega fins and the pocket was just too small for my hubby's Simms wading boots so he bought the Simms flats booties. Been using them for about four years now.
Try trolling with your oars. Something about the pull/pause motion that really attracts fish.
[signature]
Ya, I think my Simms boots maybe too big for fins but I will try, those NRS shoes were only $20 so no biggie, adds another option [Wink]
[signature]
[#0000FF]As you might expect, there are some variables that should be considered before gearing up with fins. I usually suggest you work it backwards...buying fins last. Start by getting waders with foot pockets big enough to hold a couple of layers of warmth...if you are going to fish early and late in the year. Then get the flats boots that will fit over the overstuffed wader feet. Finally, get fins with foot pockets big enough to comfortably hold it all...or you will get constriction and cramps. Unless you maintain good circulation you will get cold feet...no matter how many layers of wool socks you are wearing.

I wear a size 13 shoe so I really have to shop to find components big enough for my "bigfoots". I get 3XL waders and need to buy size 16 flats boots to fit over them. I get the XL size Mares dive fins and with the adjustable strap I can wear them with lighter loads in the summer and let them out to keep me comfy in pre-ice-up conditions.

As others have suggested, you don't need fins if you have oars and/or an electric...to get you to and from your fishing spots. But fins give you the hands free control to maintain position and to turn your toon if necessary while fighting a big active fish. Good problem to have.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I like using a dive fin with water shoes or flats booties. The adjustable strap in the back makes for easy on and off, and good fit for different sized shoes etc.

The dive fins really move you through the water faster with less effort.

This is one of the pairs I have.
[url "http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q227TY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]http://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]

And they are surprisingly light.
[signature]
Thanks, I am going with a dive fin for sure.
[signature]
My NRS water shoes showed up today, they are perfect!! Fit nicely over my stocking foot waders, plenty of wiggle room and not bulky like my boots, they should be perfect to wear with fins!!
[signature]
Those look great! Perfect price as well. All that is left is to make sure you fins don't cause unnecessary wear, which they shouldn't, but some can.
[signature]
What's the purpose of wearing "boots" aboard a 'toon?
If you have to hike, or clamor over very difficult terrain at waters edge, I can see it.
But that isn't the case, should they still be part of the outfit?
[signature]
[#0000FF]The "flats boots" or divers' booties we wear are more to protect the soft neoprene stocking foot portion of our waders than our feet. Otherwise, walking on rough surfaces would quickly wear holes in them.

Some tubers wear their regular wading boots over their waders...rather than lighter weight flats boots...simply because they already have them and they have fins that will accomodate them. But if you have a large foot you may not be able to wear divers fins. Most will be too small to hold a large wading boot. So you have to get adjustable lace up fins.

While divers' booties are not all that heavy, the soles are generally sturdy enough to permit short distance hiking over dirt or gravel. However, if you are faced with making a substantial hike between where you park and where you launch it is best to pack your fins and waders to put on after you get to your spot...while wearing appropriate hiking shoes.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks, Dude - you can always be relied upon for a thorough answer [Wink]

So I gather the "water shoes" are a good compromise?
something like this:

[Image: 30032_01_2310_side_071211_1000x1000.jpg]
Room for fins, but sturdy enough for a bit of casual walking about, pre-launch.

In my case I wont be hiking long distance to get to launch, maybe 30 yards. I envision, wearing waders to and from and this sort of wet shoe. I'll tote my fins as cargo and don them when I get to the fishing ground.

Does that sound about right?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Zackly. Most of us put our fins on when we are launching and take them off as we come out of the water. There is almost always at least a short walk from vehicle to water...and some folks don't put on their fins until they have launched. That also requires some walking over the bottom of the lake before putting on the fins. Having the thick soles of the water shoes or diving booties protects both waders and tender footsies.

The ones in the pic should work well. Just be sure to order them a size or two larger than your normal foot size to accomodate the waders and socks. Even larger if you will be fishing in cold water with multiple layers. And that means you will need fins large enough to hold all that without constriction.

I normally advise to get the waders first. Then take them with you to try on water shoes or booties. And once you have the right wader/boot combo you can shop for fins that will fit over them. Some stores and dive shops will allow you to bring in your layers and try them on. If they don't...don't buy there unless there is a good return policy.

Whatever you do, don't buy fins first and try to stuff 10 pounds of meat into 5 pound foot pockets on your fins.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Quote:"Zackly. Most of us put our fins on when we are launching and take them off as we come out of the water. There is almost always at least a short walk from vehicle to water...and some folks don't put on their fins until they have launched. That also requires some walking over the bottom of the lake before putting on the fins. Having the thick soles of the water shoes or diving booties protects both waders and tender footsies."

This is along the lines that I’m thinking. I should have said I am talking about a framed ‘toon, not so much a float tube (although that remains an option).

Quote:
The ones in the pic should work well. Just be sure to order them a size or two larger than your normal foot size to accommodate the waders and socks. Even larger if you will be fishing in cold water with multiple layers. And that means you will need fins large enough to hold all that without constriction.
I normally advise to get the waders first. Then take them with you to try on water shoes or booties. And once you have the right wader/boot combo you can shop for fins that will fit over them. Some stores and dive shops will allow you to bring in your layers and try them on. If they don't...don't buy there unless there is a good return policy.

Whatever you do, don't buy fins first and try to stuff 10 pounds of meat into 5 pound foot pockets on your fins.

Yes, you have preached this tiered approach leading to fins many times. Thank you!
[signature]
It is possible to get booties too big as well as too small. My hubby went a size up and they are sloppy on him. Get a good pair of socks for the cooler months like these:
http://usa.heatholders.com/?gclid=CIWumK...fgodlqEAGQ
And you don't need to put layer on layer. You do want a snug fit in the warm months as well as the cool. It is possible to do both.
[signature]
Okay, Goddess (Lori, right?)

Lemme ask then:
I'm a warm water guy (SC).
Breathable waders, cooler water here is 45-50 degrees.
I'm a size 11-11 1/2 US.
Would you make a general recommendation for bootie sizing, over such waders?
[signature]