Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Slant on Rod Racks
[cool][size 1]I finished my latest version of a horizontal rod rack, but with a slant. It tilts up several degrees. This helps keep the reels out of the water and reduces the weight and downward torque of a flat rack.[/size]

[size 1]I also was more thrifty in the use of PVC on this one, using only the minimum necessary. Even with the addition of a couple of pieces of flotation foam, the total weight for this edition is only 1.9 pounds.[/size]

[size 1]Instead of cut pieces of PVC for the rod holders, I used clear vinyl tubing...5/8" ID for the rod shaft, and 1 1/4" ID into which to slip the handles. I cut a slit in the narrow tubing, to allow the rods to slip down inside the tube. The larger tube is actually some heavy nylon mesh reinforced tubing. These rings are screwed onto the PVC with 1/2" machine screws. The larger rings could be slit, also, to more easily accept and hold fly rod handles.[/size]

[size 1]My real innovation here was in the mounting method. Instead of rigging straps and snaps, I set it up so that the two short stabilizer posts fit down into two loops of nylon rope, attached to the D rings. By spacing the stabilizer posts so that they were exactly the same distance as the D rings, this made it easy to set up. The adjustments were in making sure the loop is exactly large enough to take the stabilizer bars (and the fittings) and no larger. If the loops are too long, they will allow the rack to tilt forward. [/size]

[size 1]I have yet to take this new design on the water, but I am anticipating it will work well for my kind of fishing. I always take multiple rods. This design allows for a quick "lay down" if you need to set a rod aside for a minute...without having to be careful about fitting it down into a vertical tube. Heck, even though I only have 4 rod holders, that rack could probably hold six or eight rods, stacked on each other.[/size]

[size 1]I had heard of other tubers fixing their rod racks up with flotation...to prevent loss in case the rack became disconnected. On this model, I fitted the two horizontal pieces of PVC with measured lengths of foam flotation. I am sure it will be sufficient to float four rods. I will put that to the test in a couple of weeks.[/size]

[size 1]So, what I ended up with is about half the weight of the wood and PVC model I was previously using. It has more flexibility and can handle additional rods if needed. It is also easy to install and remove, but is stable when mounted and not easy to accidentally knock loose.[/size]

[size 1]Any comments or suggestions on how anyone thinks it might be improved?[/size]
[signature]
Looks good Tube Dude !! Only problem I got is it is on the wrong side for this south paw . I going to get serious about doing something like this and a mounting for my fishfinder this spring . Might get a new tube to start with .
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey there TubeDude,[/size]

[size 1]Great looking concept. Nice and neat. One problem as I see it, when TubeBabe gets a good look at it she will have you hanging the wash out on it.[/size]

[size 1]Well I am still playing with my multi rack system. i.e. Rod rack and transducer holder. Must be too cold for fishing as it looks like the garage tinklers are at work.[/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2175;]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2176;]
[signature]
Very nice TubeDude, but I do have one question. Do you think you will have to be too off balance to reach the top rod while in the water? That would be my only concern, everything else looks great. Nice call with the clear poly tubing, its tough, light, and is strong enough to hole the equipment.

Dryrod, your setup is looking very nice as well. Can't wait till sprintime to give us a full report.
[signature]
[Wink][size 1]Hey there theekillerbee,[/size]

[size 1]Thanks for the compliment. By the way springtime in So. Calif is all winter long. [/size]
[signature]
[Smile][size 1]Hey Beeman, thanks for the compliments. The "off balance" thing is not a problem. First of all, the distance to the outside rod is less than two feet...well within my reach (I'm 6' 3"). Second, it is virtually impossible to tip over in my Super Fat Cat. Third, with the loop attachments on the holder, the whole thing can be easily lifted and tipped back in toward the tube, to a vertical position. This makes for easy access if necessary...or to cut down the profile when navigating through a narrow spot. However, when you lower it back down, it stops firmly against the air chamber, when the two short stabilizer tubes come up against it. [/size]

[size 1]I am kinda proud of this design. It is light, tough, simple and efficient. I have gone through a whole lot of other designs and this one has more going for it than any of the others. I am optimistic that it will fish well too. Since I don't need an ice auger to get it on the local waters, I should have the shakedown cruise within a couple of weeks.[/size]
[signature]
Lucky man![Wink] I do miss the open water, but I do enjoy ice fishing as well. Looking forward to your report on the setup.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]HI there TubeDude,[/size]

[size 1]The more I review your new rack invention the better I like it. What is appealing is that adding or removing a rod doesn't tilt the hold rack set up. I bet one could also incorporate a transducer set up into this system. [/size]
[signature]
Hey TD you've really outdone yourself this time! That rod rack is excellent!!

Just gotta watch if you're going through reeds or bushes that are above water level, they could snag a rod or two and try to keep them. Since that is such an unlikely scenario, it shouldn't be a problem though. Nicely done!!!

That orange foam will make a great homing beacon for the PWC's as well!
[signature]
[cool][size 1]If you go through some brush, or a tight spot, you can lift the rack up and in toward the tube...to a vertical position. It is hinged on the rope loops, and drops right back down into place with no adjustments.[/size]

[size 1]And, any PWC that get that close are within range of my new PVC RPG (rocket propelled grenade) launcher.[/size]

[size 1]Glad you guys like the concept. I'll be putting it through the paces as soon as possible.[/size]
[signature]
Hey TubeDad, That design looks like a winner in my book. I especially like the self hinged design. I think you could actually add space for a blow gun in that as well for the bank fisherman that casts just a little too close to your rig. It would allow you to return some friendly fire without making the excessive noise that is associated with the 44 magnum.
[signature]
this desing looks good for a tube. for a pontoon it might put a rod too far out of reach depending on dimensions. have you tried that style on the water yet? i was wondering about stability when the water gets rough it its going to bounce in a way to jar the rods loose or so. very simple and good idea. i wonder if it is unstable in rough water how to stabilize it with its design.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, Mr. X, good to have you drop in on the tubin' board again. I read your other posts before responding on this thread.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Glad you appreciate the new designs. I have not yet had them on the water, but anticipate doing so soon. You are correct in observing that this slant rack is probably a better idea for tubes, Uboats and Vboats than for pontoons. From the "drivers' seat" in a pontoon craft of any size it might be a long reach to the outside rod. However, in my Fat Cat, with my long arms, I can easily touch the outside edge without straining.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Stability? First of all, this design is for fishing fresh water in calm conditions. If I planned to have to launch or beach...or fish...in sloppy conditions, I would probably mount one of my vertical racks. I would also use one with the longest tubes, to keep the reels as high above the water as possible...especially in salt water.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If there is a concern about the rack flopping up and down, you simply run a bungee cord from the rack around the bottom to an inside D ring. That anchors the rotation in that direction. The weight of the rods pretty much secures it the other way. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I had planned to try to do without the bungee cord, to allow lifting the rack up out of the way to avoid tight passages or shoreside brush. And, if the wind comes up and I have to fight 10 foot waves, my mother's son is going to be long gone anyway. I don't do wind very well. Can't maneuver and can't fish effectively. Might as well go home and tinker with tackle or something.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]By the way, X, have you come up with a design for a rod rack for your pontoon yet? I have seen quite a few designs for vertical racks mounted behind the seat...in between the air chambers. Let me know if you need some assistance in planning one out.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

Like you, I read all of the posts and there is lots of good info both from posters and yourself. That puppy looks like a done deal until............ you decide to approach it as a brand new project!!! ha ha

I was bugged by the (what I think) problem of having rods 'in the way' when mounting them vertically and balanced behind the seated little ol' me in my tube.

As my rack is a series of PVC pipes and connectors (Y's, 45's, 90's, 30's, 2 to the side 1 down, 4 way, and sleeves)
I realized that even if I had the angles right for say launching it wouldn't be optimal for fishing, especially fly fishing.

Therefor I have simply drilled holes in both the pipe and the appropriate connector at intervals of 15 degrees around the circumfrence of the pipe/connector (clear through) and put in over-sized cotter key pins w/tiny lanyards so that I could adjust the angle of the rods however I wanted.

Just pull out the cotter key (oh ya there's a trick to the cotter key to give it it's retaining spring function.... hint: bend it then bend one side of it back at a different point) rotate the whatever and replace the cotter key.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, JapanRon san. While I find it difficult to envision your rack, without a picture, I do appreciate the concept of adjustability. The cotter pin idea sounds very workable. As you point out, you might want different positioning from launching to fishing and fishing in different ways..[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Since my system is all PVC glued together, my only adjustablility is leaning hard to starboard...or port...if I need a different angle. What is the old saying about channel lights...red right leaning...?[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]When are you going to join the ranks of the digitally enabled and shoot some postable pics for us? I am sure we would all be interested in your innovations.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Hi TubeDude,

It and some of it's features are in the patent app process now so.......... Nope... I can Jpeg with the best of them. ha ha ha

I've got PhotoShop and Illustrator if I really want to go wild.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Okay, Ron san, if you wanna be that way about it. See if I share my new idea for some fins that will actually help you walk on water.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1](They are shark fins.)[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Hi TubeDude,

Ha ha ha.... That's a good one! The frustration with applying for a patent is that you can't show off your cleverness for what seems like forever.

Inventors that patent are a wierd breed. We're more worried that someone will see what we've done and improve it to a point where our efforts result in no profit or a fight later occurs that will drain all ones resources. Don't matter if it's a new type hair pin or a perpetual motion machine!!! ha ha ha

Be assured, I haven't stolen any of 'The Masters' your many great concept-to model-to-function ideas.

Now on that walking on water business hummmmmmmmm. yes, yes there's potential there! ha ha

Your buddy, and awaiting your trip to California,

JapanRon
[signature]
i figured i would throw out some ideas on the rack. considering the use as how you explained it i doubt it could be much better [Smile] as for my design i was thinking about the inside part of the pontoon towards the seat. there is some considerable amount of space and the rod could run the length of the pontoon without hitting things. i think i could do two on each side. so basically two pvc pipes on a slant on both sides. with two mount brackets. this would keeep a low profile as well. and the stuff i like to go through like brush and such would keep me clean of hanging up. the thing i noticed the most on the vertical design on the kennebec was that. kicking up under trees and such i had a heck of a time maneuvering then. its the transducer mount im struggling with right now. any mount could work but im trying to think of a effective one thats not going to bang into things in the shallows and is mounted on the outside. i prefer that to the inner side of the pontoon, personal preference i guess. im sure i could just run a pipe connected to the frame and then one down toward the water but i would like this to rotate to give a down sonar shot also. so im working on that. if you have other ideas that would be great to hear also.

I have to say i had a blast fishin the wind this spring on the small mouth fisheries here. 3 or 4 foot swells bouncing me and hooking smallmouth left and right up on the bank, was a riot.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey thereXman,[/size]

[size 1]I have my transducer set up so that when I am lunching my tube it is about 1" from the water. Once out into a couple of feet I lower the transducer so that it is about 10" below the water line. Take a look at one of my pics in an earlier post in this thread. I think you could work something like this onto your pontoon.[/size]
[signature]