Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merino Wool Socks
Many mentioned to buy Merino Wool Socks for ice fishing. Big Five has a sale on them right now, Hi-Tec brand, 2 for $7.99. As far as I can find, these socks have a 63% Merino Wool content. Is that a big enough percentage to be a good sock? I know others I've seen have been in the 80% or higher range. If that's a quality sock, I need to inform Santa asap. . .
[signature]
Should be fine depending on the boots you have..I usually wear polyester liner socks under my wool socks there like $3 at Wally. Basically you want polyester as your first layer to pull the moisture away from your body cottons the worst cause it absorbs moisture.
[signature]
I doubt that you are going to get a very warm sock for $4 a piece!

I have some light weight merino wool socks that I use for hiking that I would never think of using for ice fishing. I suspect for $4 - these will be light weight; however, check them out.

I think you want the thickest sock you can afford, that you can comfortably wear in your boots without squeezing the blood supply to your feet. You will probably pay somewhere around $10 or more for really good pair of socks - my 2 cents.
[signature]
I don't know if they have them in your area, but Costco had some wool socks for a good price.
[signature]
I just have to 2nd the Costco socks (I think they are about 20 bucks for 4 pair, and 70% merino wool) they are great for the price, and make sure cotton isn't touching your feet unless you like damp feet. I would say it depends on what you are using now, and what you expect them to do. If you are using cotton now, have warm boots, a nice tent, or a way to keep your feet off the ice I think you'll be happy with these. The reviews on amazon said the sizing of the Hi-Tec socks was a little weird (too tight), just fyi. If you do get them and they fit well, take a set of foot or toe warmers just in case, and let us know how they work out for you.
Thanks for the tips everyone. I guess the percentage of the Merino wool content is only one factor, the other being the thickness of the sock. I do have a Costco membership; I think I'll go for those.

Now, to find some boots . . .
[signature]
Take a good look at pac style boots. They're bulky, but extremely warm and perfect for ice fishing.

I have a pair of Cabelas Predator Extreme Pac Boots and my feet have never been cold. I'll admit, I wouldn't want to walk more than a couple miles in them though and you really have to put them on at the lake. I've got the brake and gas pedal tangled up trying to drive with them on before.

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Predator-Extreme-Pac-Boots-Brown/722130.uts"]http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Predator-Extreme-Pac-Boots-Brown/722130.uts[/url]

Pac boots are really the only way to go on the ice though. Hope that helps a little.
[signature]