Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake 12/12
With the warm weather getting ready to go away, and a short lull in the frenzied preparation for finals, I decided to head out to Utah Lake today to see if I can't catch some white bass, bluegill, and/or channel cats.

I'm leaving home in about an hour, and I'll be sure to report back if I get anything, including skunked Big Grin
[signature]
Looking forward to your report!
[signature]
Sorry to disappoint... haha. 2 hours, skunked.

I went after the white bass on 4lb mono with white curly-tail grubs on chartruese 1/8oz leadheads, but I didn't even get a bite. Must have been in the wrong place.

Tried for the catfish on 10lb mono with carolina rigged chicken that had been marinating in all sorts of smelly stuff overnight, but also not even a bite.

I was hoping the bluegills would bite on my berkley Gulp! maggots under a slip float, but nothing there.

I was fishing from the docks and jetty at the state park in Provo. It was really windy, but the wind was to my back so I was getting some really nice distance on my casts.

Guess that's not where the white bass like to hang out...
[signature]
They were probably stacked up on the far bank where the wind was blowing to.
[signature]
Do they tend to do that? I've never fished for white bass before and all I really know about their habits is they eat minnows, school a lot, and like open water more than their largemouth and smallmouth counterparts.

Well I guess I feel better knowing that they weren't 20 feet away. They were just in Saratoga Springs.
[signature]
All fish will do that. The wind stacks food ( plankton & minnows) up on the wind swept shore. The mud line formed provides cover. You can often get into a real feeding frenzy if conditions are right. Walleyes, LMB, SMB, WB, every game fish will utilize the conditions. Cast parallel to the shoreline or near as possible, then slow retrieve back !!!
That's assuming you're standing on the shore with the wind blowing towards you though, not away from you, right? Haha
[signature]