Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anchor Rigging for Pontoon
Hello TubeDude, goddess and all the rest!

I've been away, toying around with a hybrid canoe all summer, a Mad River Adventure 14. Its nice and the capacity for two is sweet. It is also capable of going anywhere.
But I believe it is just too much for me to manhandle going forward.
Getting all 77 lbs of it loaded/unloaded is taxing as I approach 60. Getting myself loaded and unloaded is also a pain and I tore my right knee's meniscus doing just that.
I guess that makes it a pain, literally. [Wink]

Okay, all that said, I expect I may again be looking at the pontoon this coming year with more serious intent. It remains in the garage, forlorn and unloved, cast aside for the glamour of the poly-canoe. Now that the canoe has bitten and showed just what typically lies beneath glitz and gloss - its time to apologize to the 'toon and look to the future.

So, I'm wondering how people generally rig an anchor to their pontoons. I'm not so worried about the anchor itself, I have that part figure out. Really, I'm more interested in seeing what folks to to run the lines, pulleys, cleats - all that nautical jazz.

I want it to be unobtrusive and easily operated with one hand from the drivers seat. I'm hoping not to have the anchor in my lap as I putter about, but would like to see it secured in some way until released. Kinda like on a ship - hanging there, but tucked in until deployed.

Any good pics, ideas, etc.
[signature]
From all the rest: I use the Scotty anchor mount with the float tube adapter that attaches with straps on my NFO. Works in the rivers. One hand operation. Easy up and down.
http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/prod...t=3&id=291
[signature]
Same here. Scotty. Either the strap on or mounted to the NFO Motor mount. Note: The straps that comes with the tube mount Scotty can stretch when wet so I replaced them with NRS straps.
[signature]
Okay, the Scotty mount is an option.
It looks pretty good - I like the pivoting cam lock.
I picture the anchor point at the rear, to keep the "foredeck" clear. It might take some gymnastics to get the thing working.

It is the only premade/aftermarket option I've seen so far, though.
Thanks for the tip.
[signature]
Here's a toon mod for a Scotty anchor mount. This might get your creative synapses firing. I can lower the anchor with one hand. I usually use two hands to raise it so that I can keep constant tension on the rope, but I use one hand when necessary. The key item in my mod was using a plastic soda caddy for 2 liter bottles (strong and lightweight) to provide a mini-deck on which to attach the Scotty anchor mount. It's out of the way while fishing, but easy to grab when needed.

Pic of the parts:

[inline "New Anchor Layout 1.2.jpg"]

Assembled on a CA Madison toon:

[inline "Toon Anchor Assembly 1.7.jpg"]
[signature]