Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So much for Utah BFT
They have gone private/by user name only on their forums... So much for reading up on ones potential next trip to Utah anymore.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=330"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...gforum.cgi?forum=330[/url]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=908085#908085"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=908085#908085[/url]

Maybe we should do the same so no one can read what is going on in Nevada anymore...
[signature]
Lol, that is just plain silly to me. Knowledge should be shared and the enjoyment of fishing should be fostered. I figure that I learned how to fish southern Nevada from forums like this so I should share what knowledge I have gained with the rest of the forum. Not that I have a whole lot to share.

Elitism is a funny thing because at one point we all were on the same level of skill as an angler. Just because we are now better than another individual doesn't make us superior to them. Geez we all had to learn from someone as some point in our lives. Might as well return the favor and spread the love of fishing to all that want to learn. Just my two cents.
[signature]
Silly stuff. Yes I "lurk" up in the Utah board and many others. Many/most times I have zero input but if I am pondering making a trip to Utah/some other state then it is nice to have a "open" forum for one to do some investigating/info/fact finding prior to making a long trip that effects one both financially and time consumption wise. This type of thing could potentially destroy any reason whatsoever to bother with BFT.

If we changed the Nevada BFT to this mentality ours would be blank. There are the ones that post lots and the ones that don't hardly at all. Take all the "usuals" and give them a seperate private area and BFT Nevada will be essentially gone. I'd have zero reasons to make dublicate posts. One with useful info for the "guys" and the other a general I caught some fish post.

Quote:
Private reports board reserved for active Utah board members. Please PM
moderator to be added.

Eligibility requires... 5 years on BFT and 2000 posts or 50+ proven fish reports... I guess to get in one must be a keyboard hero and type/post useless stuff on ever post made to bump up ones post count. I have the 50+ reports easily enough but all Nevada. I wonder if that will let me in.

I am surprised they haven't deleted that thread yet about this secret forum area. It was moved to a area many don't/rarely ever look into to hide the post per se I linked to above.
[signature]
Yeah, that is some crap. I fully disagree with their decision to make this private. They tried once to make this site a paid membership site to get rid of the ads, and that, too, was a bad idea.

It's a forum.

Forum:
Roman
A forum was a public square in a Roman municipium.

No reason at all for this to be private.

Don't get me wrong... I don't like that our posts get hundreds, or even thousands, of hits yet there will only be 2 or 3 responses. But it is what it is.
[signature]
I've noticed that on most of my Mead reports. 1 or maybe 2 responses and litterally 1000s of views. Seems fairly one way per se.
[signature]
I totally agree about the view vs. comment ratio. It's totally out of walk. It is one of the main reasons I don't post a ton. However, it's the nature of the beast and it is just how these type of forums function.

On a different note, how has mead been treating everyone? Lol
[signature]
10 Nov is the last time I have been fishing... What a crazy non-fishing year this has been for me. I feel like I need to start/attend/find a fishing anonymous session. If I make it out again this year it would be between XMas and New Years. Otherwise next year sometime.

Weather by far being the biggie this year. Saturdays just seemed to "blow", litterally, this year for me. I really enjoy Mead on zero wind days and those have been far and few when I have the time off to be able to go. Plus the lake going down has really messed up every fishing spot I have enjoyed over the last couple previous years.
[signature]
Wow that is a long time to go without wetting line. If I don't get out at least once a week, I get twitchy. Lol. However, it's easier for me to get out and fish because I'm a bank tangler. Don't really have to worry about my boat getting swamped by the monster waves on mead. But fishing has been great from the shore of late. I have had 9 and 12 fish days the last few times I have been out.
[signature]
9 and 12 is better than I have done from a boat the last two times I made it out. Your killin it!

The lake hasn't been my friend at all this year.
[signature]
[quote wolfs4evr]
I am surprised they haven't deleted that thread yet about this secret forum area. It was moved to a area many don't/rarely ever look into to hide the post per se I linked to above.[/quote]

All gone now... Made it to 3 pages of luke warm discussions then poooof. Deleted from existence.
[signature]
Yeah, I figured that it was only a matter of time before the Utah mods would do that. The Utah mentality is if it causes conflict or challenges their way of seeing thing they don't want to talk about it or have anything to do with it. They are of the mind set that how dare anyone questions what the majority wants and what the majority wants is always in the best interest of everyone. Lol, this mode of thinking drove me crazy when I lived there.

On a different note, I have noticed a deep decline in the quantity and quality of the post on the general Utah forum.
[signature]
I guess a Utah BFTer posted a link to our discussion on here. It took the Utah mods a whole 30 seconds to delete it. I thought a mods job was to moderate not censor. Lol
[signature]
Yep...they've created a new forum on Utah BFT for the elite. Guess I fall into that category based on what I primarily fish for during the soft water...hence the avatar...I'm more than willing to help anyone in that species quest but there's no commitment except for a few here in Utah thus I don't post about Tiger Muskie fishing except for general info on being committed and having the right equipment. But to continually delete threads highlighting elitism on BFT is wrong.

I've had two threads I've personally made just today including a link to this one in Nevada deleted also the original thread posted by another member removed...why only thing in PMs is that's what a few wanted not a majority including very long time members...including there was NO poll on the Utah BFT or heads up info stated the secret forum and its qualifications. Another member was told and posted up and that original post was deleted. Now two posts of mine have been deleted today alone...I haven't broken any rules except what the administrator of the Utah forum said...I was creating hate...so because the posts I alone made with probably 80 plus from the OP members made have been removed...I was basically called a hater of those who wanted the secret forum per the PM I received from the Utah Administrator...Hmmmmmm if you want a bragging board to your catches and to share top secret intel isn't that what PMs are for or becoming fishing buddies...nothing posted on the internet is secret...a secret or being special is only kept with trusted and I mean trusted agents.

So time will tell on the Utah BFT site. Its now catering to the elite with there own personal BFT section.
[signature]
[quote toadie_79]I guess a Utah BFTer posted a link to our discussion on here. It took the Utah mods a whole 30 seconds to delete it. I thought a mods job was to moderate not censor. Lol[/quote]

That was going to happen for sure putting Utah in the subject line. Took longer than expected for something to come out of it. I'd never do something like that intentionally [angelic]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I'm a long time member of the BFT Utah board. You can see by my post count that I have been here a while. I've been both a mod and an admin...and still mod the float tube board.

When I was asked for my opinion on the potential for a "premier" board I registered as being against it. Our place in the angling community was built upon being a friendly spot for everybody to drop in and talk fishing...and to get help when needed. The restrictive rules keep out everybody but a select few...and the masses who make up the bulk of BFT membership find it hard to get in. A whole lot of worthy Utah members deserve special consideration for the years of membership and helpful attitude they have maintained toward new members or those less experienced.

The board was set up anyway...with no general announcement on the main board or any attempt at explanation for the reasons...or the requirements. As "low class" members have found out about it and tried to join there has been much upset and resentment. Naturally.

For what it's worth, the premier board is not going to do away with the main board. So far there has been very little reporting activity...and the reports that have been posted have not been worthy of keeping away from the lurkers or riff raff. The vast majority of contributing Utah members continue to chat and post on the main board. I am a member of both boards but have not posted anything on the premier board besides answering a couple of questions. My fishing reports will still be on the main board...as will those of most other members.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=k2muskie"]k2muskie[/url]

Locking threads due a "issue/rules violation" I can see, annotated with what, where, when, why, etc. Straight up making them go away seems a little carried away. I guess the difference between BFT and the rest of the forum world that I hang out on.
[signature]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=TubeDude"]TubeDude[/url]

I am a mod and admin on plenty of other forums (non-fishing) where "secret" stuff is shared. The existence of such places is typically (always other than here) only known by the authorized members to view such things or even know of its existence. BFT Utah imperial member fishing reports is visible to everyone on the planet including being able to see who is posting and content of the subject of each post that is in it. That is one of the biggest "teases" I have ever seen on a open forum. Extremely poorly executed and a non-classy act that is 100% for sure.
[signature]
I have seen many threads be locked when they get too heated, but they remain out in the open. Usually if you read them it's easy to see why they were locked. These threads were not locked they just went away to the internet graveyard. They were just getting to many views.

Tube Dude forgot to mention he is a very much respected member of the Utah board.
[signature]
I realize he is. I have been reading BFT Utah for many years.

No disrepsect intended directly towards him.

The poke/jab of my last post is towards the end product. A poorly executed one at that.

A big fat window for all of us non-special people to look into but don't touch.
[signature]
Yes, as a long time Utah poster, it's interesting the whole discussion that had remained fairly civil just disappeared. The Premier Board wasn't thought out and poorly executed for sure. I know it's just a fishing board but allowing a small group to crash the participation on their most active site will cost BFT a lot of revenue. I wonder how many views that single thread got vs all of the premier board posts so far? Shouldn't take the owners of BFT much to figure out the bottom-line damage to date and just where this is going to end up if they don't reign it in.
[signature]