Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain Green river access
Since when is this spot private property? It's too bad, some of my best days were on this stretch.

[center][inline 20141226_122618.jpg]
[/center]
[signature]
Could you be more specific as to where on the river in Mt. Green you were? I can't tell from the picture.
[signature]
This is right off the Mtn. Green exit if you were coming from Ogden.
[signature]
?
[signature]
Check with the DWR
[signature]
The river there switches back and forth from public to private depending exactly on where you are.

If you get off the exit and continue forward where the road turns and goes under the highway, it's all private and has been for a long time. I was kicked off there probably 25 years ago when I first moved to UT.

Now, if you turn towards the river, then make a hard right, heading down stream, it's public, for a couple of hundred feet. Right where the river is very close to the tracks.
Then the river swings back onto private land as it passes directly in front of the pump house. Just about directly across from the pumphouse channel the N. bank again becomes public and remains so until a little above the rest area.

Now, for the disclaimer. This information was gleaned from the county GIS maps. These maps are the overlays of land plats that the recorder uses to determine land ownership. The only problem is that even the county will not attest to their accuracy. In order to see the exact places with the location of the survey markers you would have to go to the county recorders office.

If you would like to look at the maps I did, here is the link.
[url "http://utahdnr.maps.arcgis.com/...4ea59488e4487d9910e2"]http://utahdnr.maps.arcgis.com/...4ea59488e4487d9910e2[/url]

Just zoom in and scroll until you get to where the exit is, then switch the map to the photo overlay and it will become pretty clear what is where.
This is a DWR supplied map and you can print it out with the boundaries. If I were to want to fish there I would print the map and carry it with me, if questioned, know where you are and make sure it is on public land.
[signature]
When I open the link it says that the page can't be found?
[signature]
Three duck hunters shot two deer there illegally and screwed it up for everyone. they are enforcing it.
[signature]
[quote GP]Three duck hunters shot two deer there illegally and screwed it up for everyone. they are enforcing it.[/quote]

This is true. Word from my pals in the DWR is they are working with the landowner to get a resolution for access, but in the mean time STAY OUT. Don't risk a ticket, and don't risk making this landowner even more upset-- compromising an agreement to restore the access.

Stay thirsty my friends...
[signature]
That's too bad. I hope they get the problem resolved soon.
[signature]
[quote ddmoogs]When I open the link it says that the page can't be found?[/quote]

Sorry, I just cut and pasted the page I was looking at.

When you get to where my link takes you go to the "maps" page from the menu at the top, then zoom in to the area while panning to get to the right spot.

You can see the boundaries, but I can't seem to find the page where the plat numbers were, that is how you reference who the owner is.

If you go to the county offices you can look at the maps with the plat numbers and ask for the owners information.

Just stay below the pump house and you will be OK.
[signature]
That stretch and farther upstream has been private for a long time that I am aware of. Just not always marked. They use to paint and post it all the time....but within weeks of the signs going up they would be shot all to hell, torn down, etc. Just as you drive over the tracks and reach the bridge.....there on the up-stream side of the road, there were some large cement blocks and boulders that were once painted. Someone actually took a chain around one and pulled it out of the way so they could drive further in.
I've seen people drive in (the "road" use to be better to drive on)...and when they got to the river they actually drove across.
There is a family that has property up in that area. It never use to be a big deal when sportsmen would walk up the river. However, after the camp trailers were vandalized, windows broken, tires slashed, generators stolen, food stolen, etc.....the family said that was enough and have asked people to leave the property when they see them in there and deny access to those that call and ask.
The guy that has the piece closest to the bridge - I can see why he has posted signs again.....over the last few years I've seen his property get damaged by those who misuse the area. Tons of trash, fire pits on the river with beer cans left behind, etc.
Every time I have been there - you can find empty shotgun shells.
Not going to argue for or against. Just thought I'd give you some info/background.

Also - The DWR has a Stream Access Map on their website: [url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/maps/stream_access/"]http://wildlife.utah.gov/maps/stream_access/[/url] that is pretty good at showing you what is private, etc.
It seems to be a little spotty on working correctly....but if you click the option to open it in Google Earth, its pretty good.
[signature]
It's too bad that the inconsiderate few ruin it for everyone else.
[signature]
Can't even tell you how many fish I've caught out the hole where that sign is, this is just a great place to come if you want to catch fish not too far away from home. Heard the owner is an asshole but rightfully so with the deer being poached. Spoke to a cop about it and he said they are trying to talk him out of it, hopefully they can work their magic and get it back to public use so I can hit up the spring hatches there!
[signature]
[quote FlyCrazy95]Can't even tell you how many fish I've caught out the hole where that sign is, this is just a great place to come if you want to catch fish not too far away from home. Heard the owner is an asshole but rightfully so with the deer being poached. Spoke to a cop about it and he said they are trying to talk him out of it, hopefully they can work their magic and get it back to public use so I can hit up the spring hatches there![/quote]

Are you referring to the famed weber sowbug hatch? [cool]
[signature]
Nah man I'm referring to the caddis and blue winged olive hatches that happen just about every morning and evening from March to October there where I caught this 23 incher. You can hold your nose up to the weber all you want but it if you know where to go, and what to use that time of year then it fishes just as good as any river in utah (minus the green) and it's hardly ever crowded.
[signature]
haha what? a bit touchy this morning are we? that was called a "joke", have you heard of them? I live in south ogden and fish the weeb more than any other body of water in this state. anybody who knows that river well knows about the abundance of sowbugs in there (the ray Charles is a great sowbug pattern, I highly recommend it. unless you're one of those fishermen who "holds your nose up" to anything besides fishing dries).
[signature]
Just seemed like you were bashing the weber, looking at what you said it should be obvious to see where I was coming from since there was no sign that you were joking. And I don't know you and you don't know me so aren't you jumping to conclusions about how I like to fish (dry comment)? I'm mainly a nymph fisherman but dries are always fun along with streamers every now and then. I'm not trying to be an asshole but I was just standing up for the river I love fishing.
[signature]
Good thing you are standing up for your river [Tongue] who cares if he WAS bashing a piece of water, would mean one less person on the river, although I saw the joke in Moby Dick's statement [sly]
[signature]
1- the little Smiley face at the end of my statement is the sign that I was joking.

2- if I was trying to be an asshole, I would have told you that you should get your money back on the defective tape measure you are checking your fish with [cool] <----see the Smiley? that means jokes, since there is no way to portray tone through text

3- anybody who fishes and loves the weeb is a friend of mine, even those I haven't met (even those lowly worm dunkers and rapala throwers haha). If you haven't yet done so, I highly encourage you to become a member of TU, Weber Basin Anglers Chapter. Believe it or not, we're all pretty cool people and jokes are a regular thing.
[signature]