Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local Columnist give safe words
[Image: streeter.jpg]Time to enjoy frozen treat By ROB STREETER
First published: Thursday, January 1, 2004

Winters in the Northeast are long, creating the need to find something to make the time go by before the spring fishing comes.

[Image: bullet_khaki.gif]WOW AD [Image: transparent.gif] [Image: transparent.gif] [Image: transparent.gif] [Image: transparent.gif] [Image: transparent.gif] SEE IT NOW! [Image: wowdurango.gif] Big Size - Smooth Ride
AND... It's Got A HEMI!
Clifton Park Dodge*World
Open Sun 11-4 - [url "http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/wowads/redir.asp?adnumber=1723328"][#0000ff]Learn more[/#0000ff][/url] - [Image: transparent.gif] [Image: transparent.gif] [Image: transparent.gif] [Image: transparent.gif]Last winter was so incredibly long that I did something I swore that I would never do -- ice fishing.

As a die-hard fly angler, I never had the urge to ice fish until I actually tried it. I discovered that jigging up a few perch for a meal is a pleasant way to pass a winter day. Shanty towns soon will form on area lakes, and anglers will be out there cooking up meals that would be the envy of any pro football tailgate party as they vie for panfish, pike and walleyes.

Anglers already have been out on area waters, taking advantage of an early cold snap, but then the weather changed and some of these waters might not be safe to fish.

The question is, how do you know if it is safe, and what precautions should you take?

On smaller lakes or ponds, a few inches of ice might be enough. On the big waters, like Lake George or Lake Champlain, it is possible to be standing on a foot of ice and break through on the next step because the ice did not form at a uniform rate, typical of larger lakes.

A lot of bait shops cater to ice fishermen, and checking with them ahead of time is a good idea. A little information can go a long way in preventing a tragedy. If other folks are out there fishing, chances are good that things are safe.

Avoid ice that forms near the inlet of a lake, or near any flowing water, as it will tend to be thinner. Ice that looks gray or porous can be dangerous and should be avoided.

In cases where there is deep snow cover over the ice, it can be difficult to determine how safe it is. Snow acts as an insulator and keeps the ice from forming as deep as it would without cover.

Around here, many people like to fish the impounded sections of the Mohawk between Schenectady and Cohoes. River ice is the most difficult of all to rate for safety, and should be checked carefully. It is best to wait for the ice to really thicken up heavily before fishing these areas.

Most seasoned ice anglers carry a safety device that can be purchased commercially, or made out of some scrap wood and heavy nails. These hand spikes can be used in the event that you break through the ice, to pull yourself back out of the water.

It's also a great idea to bring along a safety line. Most anglers use some kind of sled to haul their gear, and you can use a long tow line tied on the sled for an additional safeguard. Having some rope along also can make it possible to rescue someone who has fallen through the ice.

The best safety rule for ice fishing is this: when in doubt, skip it. The sport is a lot of fun, but it certainly is not worth taking risks for.

Ice anglers also can hurt themselves in a variety of other ways. Most augers, which are used to cut the ice, have extremely sharp blades and shouldn't be used with blade covers. Falls while running to grab a tip-up, while often adding to the amusement of a group ice-fishing outing, also can cause serious injuries. There are several types of "creepers" that you can strap on your shoes that will dig into the ice for traction.

Hopefully, we can have a safe ice fishing season as we pass the time until this part of the world thaws out.

Rob Streeter is an outdoors columnist for the Times Union. You can reach him at robertstreeter@sprintmail.com, or send items to 961 Stoner Trail Road, Fonda, NY 12068.
[signature]