• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish lake ice update
See pic for fish lake update it's from there FB page
[signature]
Alrighty then[cool]
[signature]
Good to know. Thanks for the update!
[signature]
I ran up there and the 40+ mph wind had blown all of that beautiful new ice to the south end of the lake. The northern 2/3 of the lake is still open water. There were indeed a few people brave enough to ice fish mallard bay and the north end where it necks down before wigeon bay. There's 4-5 inches of ice in those areas.
[signature]
We spent Wednesday (31st) through Saturday (3rd) up there.

We found good ice -- in the marina next to Twin Creeks. Fishing was good. We caught some very nice splake, numerous rainbows, and even a couple tiger trout. Yes, I said tiger trout. They were only about 3-4" long (stocked just this last fall).

We had a great time.
[signature]
How did the South end look on Saturday?
[signature]
[quote doggonefishin]How did the South end look on Saturday?[/quote]

Just like the Facebook post at the beginning of this thread.

If you could get to the bathrooms parking area, you could then walk out on some safe ice. Just not a lot. Pretty much just Mallard Bay.

the entire lake appeared capped on Sunday, with no wind to speak of. With a little luck, you could be fishing about anywhere in a couple days.

Of course, we're heading into a warming trend too...
[signature]
Small tiger trout? Cool. Those macks need some fodder!
[signature]
Sweet, thanks for the update.
[signature]
[quote brookieguy1]Small tiger trout? Cool. Those macks need some fodder![/quote]

1 of those tiger trout was in a 16" splake's stomach. Poor tigert trout are getting gobbled up by splake....

(kokanee are in the hatchery now. We should see some of them stocked this spring / summer!!)
[signature]
Fish Lake just keeps getting better and better![Smile]
[signature]
Were the tiger trout planted with the hope that they would thin out some perch?
[signature]
I would be curious to know this as well? I know I have had Splake make runs at perch when I have caught them before. It is always fun up there when all other fishing is slow take the kids next to the weed line and hammer the perch.

On a side note we had some fellow anglers stop us last year and ask us how were were catching the perch as they were trying with no luck. To me that surprises me as they have always been easy to catch there. But we helped them out and told them to enjoy.
[signature]
[quote Northman]Were the tiger trout planted with the hope that they would thin out some perch?[/quote]

Tiger trout were planted because there was a shortfall of splake production from the hatchery and the Fish Lake splake stocking quota was short. The DWR stocked tiger trout to make up the difference.

I'm sure they will eat a few perch, but that isn't why they are there. Hopefully, the splake quota will be back to 100% next year.
[signature]