Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice-fishing Contest in North Metro area
Hey guys! Gotta drive down so we can meet up and maybe enter the ice-fishing contest that's here in the Metro area. I think this is it's first year.

It's on Long Lake in New Brighton (just off Hwy 694 and about a half mile west of 35W). I'll see if I can get more info on it.

The date is February 1st. I think it's from 2pm - 4pm.

Here's a phone number if you want more details before I get to posting them:

651-633-1801
[signature]
[Smile]Thanks Rat for the info !!! Myself I don't think I can Make it , I'll be fishing one the next weekend and my wife will nag at me good if I do both !!! Remember the second week of March , Lake Of The Woods , so start saving your pennies !!

[signature]
Thanks for the reminder about March! Actually, I forgot all about it. I still need to get my clothing before I consider the trip! Someone told me I should get a snowmobile suit. I think I'll get a wet suit. Those are cozy warm and if I get cold, I can pee in it to warm up. Hehe. [pirate]
[signature]
[cool] All I wear are CARHART bibs or insulated hunting pants and a warm coat ! we've been up there before when you can be out in just a tee shirt. Nothing like getting a nice tan icefishing !! Oh ya , sunglasses are a must !!!!!

[signature]
What's the exact date(s) we're talkin' about in the second week of March and approximately how much will it cost? Whether or not I make it is dependent on the dates of the trip and when the next catalog is mailed out at work.
[signature]
[cool] The dates are Fri 12 th - Sun 14 th . Some of us are going up on that Wed morning , but some will come on Thurs , and some on Fri . If you can get up here , theres someone we can line you up with to get a ride ! The cost to go is about 80 to 100 dollars , does'nt matter how many days you stay ! For you Rat , it will be just your gas up here more , 120 dollars ? . Not to bad for 5 days of fishing !!! But if you drink some spirits like some , thats more !!

[signature]
Thanks! I have Friday's off but may be able to take that Thursday off from work. Not quite sure yet. Need to figure out if the catalog will be released around that time or not.

I guess I should bring my own food since I'm vegetarian? Is the money for on-lake transportation and lodging?
[signature]
I recived these plans a while back , it should keep you warm !
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2248;]

BUILD AN ICE SHANTY This ice shanty is sturdy and tough and can be towed on skis across the snow and ice. These are his plans and instructions, and it can easily be built in a few hours.Wood isn’t cheap so choose knotty 2X4s or enough 2X2s to do the job. Knotty lumber works well for this job.

Rip 2X4s into 2X2s, and cut plywood sheets into 4X6-foot lengths for a six-foot high shanty. The siding should be framed inside with 2X2s. Glue and nail the framing to the side to lend support to the completed shanty.Frame two sides at once, and hinge both sides together with a 3.5-inch door hinge at top, middle and bottom with equal distances between them.

The two sides should be hinged to form a 90-degree angle when fully opened.Follow this procedure to build and hinge the other two walls. The four walls will fit together snugly when properly constructed. Any gaps can be corrected by countersinking hinges or covering the inside corners with black felt.Cut a door in one end along the inside edge of the framing at a height of 54 inches.

The top inside edge of the door frame must be reinforced with 2X2s for strength, and the piano hinge can be cut in half and spaced equal distance from top and bottom to allow it to swing out. Furniture knobs, inside and out, allow opening and closing, and an inside screw eye and hook will keep it closed.Nail and glue two 2X2 braces on the inside shanty wall opposite the door to aid in mounting ski braces. Small pieces of scrap 2X2 can be nailed or screwed together to form a six-inch-high outside block where the skis are mounted. This will allow easy pulling through snow.

Two of the four pieces of siding (each 2X4 feet) are hinged to make a floor. This section is cut and framed so the outside walls will fit flush to the ice with the floor bracing and floor inside the coop. Cut fishing or spearing holes to the desired size.Set the four walls and floor together and attach each two-wall section together with chest latches. This will draw the walls together and make the shanty lightproof.

The other two 2X4-foot sheets of siding form the roof. Join them by gluing and nailing the inside edges to a piece of 2X2. Frame the inside edge of the top so it sets on top of the four walls and nestles inside the shanty walls and against the wall bracings.Screw eyes are screwed into the inside roof bracing, and screw eye hooks are fastened to wall bracings. These hooks will draw the roof and walls tightly together when spaced evenly around the four walls.The finished shanty should be painted black, inside and out, to protect it from the weather and to keep light out. The outside walls should get two coats of paint.

Materials List

*Six chest hinges

*Ten Screw eyes and screw eye hooks

*One pound No. 8 nails

*Fourteen 2X4X8s

*Six 3.5-inch door hinges

*Four 4X8-foot sheets of quarter-inch plywood

*One one-inch piano hinge

*Two door handles

*Glue

* One set of snow skis ( try the local thrift store or a yard sale )

[signature]
Thanks Lonehunter but I was referring to clothing. [Tongue]

Great plans though! I'll hafta find myself somebody who's handy with tools and has a place to build and keep something like that.
[signature]
Okay, here's how the contest went (copied and pasted from fishingminnesota.com metro area forum):

"1st= $150 2nd $100 3rd $75 for bigest fish
and 3 door drawings $150,$100,$75
Have to fish in there pre drilled holes with in a circle out from landing, one line per person. out houses and food will be on the ice.

posted 02-01-2004 05:08 PM Went to the fishing contest, my first Time and it was close to home. A little snowy, but warmer then the past few days. Nice little contest, they had food and pop. All the holes were driled for you, but not cleaned out. I would say there were around 100 people out there, you had room around you. First place was a 5.9oz crappie, 2nd a 5.4 oz crappie and my fish 3rd place a big 4.3oz crappie that won me $75 big ones. My hat off to the New Brighton sportsman club and all who came out and put on the show."
[signature]
[Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Tongue] CONGRATS ARE IN ORDER !!!!!!!!!

[signature]
I didn't catch a thing. But I had fun trying! Thought I'd be cold just sitting there. Only time I got cold was when I was changing lures. My fingers starting aching like crazy! Didn't think I'd be able to bend them ever again. But a few hot breathes through my gloves fixed them all up.
[signature]