Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flaming gorge
i was going to try my luck at burbot and iv heard a lot about the fire hole it looks like it is a river and also is there any place that is good for them. i have heard to use glowin in the dark jigs with sucker meat and smelly jelly of craw fish sent. is there a certen depth that is better then others is there any tips any of you have
[signature]
You're on the right track with glow in the dark jigs and sucker meat. They tend to chase their meal up the shore in the evenings. That's why you fish them in not to deep of water. Depth of jig should be on the bottom. Some guys fish them one or two inches up off the bottom. I've heard good things about Fire a Hole too but never fished that far North. Good luck to ya!
Fish in 12-20 feet of water, on a rocky cliff or hillside. The burbs are feeding on crayfish...which are abundant in the rocks. Drill a bunch of holes and move around to find the fish. People always forget that you can use 6 poles at Flaming Gorge on the ice. I put a small bell on the ends of my extra poles to help alert me. Tip your jigs with sucker meat or a worm and slather in crawfish smelly jelly. Remember to recharge your glow jig OFTEN. A 1/4 jig head with 3" tube has caught many 6" burbot...when they're hungry, they'll eat.

Firehole has been slow and people have been reporting low numbers. Don't get discouraged. Think like a crawfish and then fish that spot.

Best of luck!
[signature]
As you UTFSHR suggests, I would fish further south. Firehole has been slow for burbot. There is some ice around Buckboard Marina now which is easy to find. I suspect the bays have thicker ice than the main channel. There's also well over 7-inches of ice at Lost Dog, also easy to find, but the burbot bite was slow for us when we fished it on New Year's Day.

You can catch burbot in a few feet of water all the way out to main channel depths. I usually set-up from about 10-40', but would bet the bulk of my fish come from 20-30' Just drill a bunch of holes (before it starts to get dark) and go from there. As also suggested, think like a smallmouth bass and fish rocky structure closer to the main channel areas.

Sounds like you have the glow gear and bait, just put the presentation close to the bottom and mix-up deadsticking and jigging. Seems like one or the other works best, depending on the activity of the fish.

Good luck, Ryno
[signature]
Thanks for the advice I guess I'll have to move further south then
[signature]
Well I guess I'll try buck bord then
[signature]
I don't have a lot of experience a FG, but we did get out for lake trout last year. The ice was a bit thin for my taste, and we couldn't get out to the deep water.

We fished near buck board in about 30-35 feet deep. We picked up 5 "small" lakers (all in the 2-3 pound range and very very tasty) and also 5 burbot all in the 3-4 pound range. That was my first burbot ever and though it didn't fight to much, that is one tasty freaking fish.

We didn't fish at night, so I felt really good about picking up 5 burbot at mid day.

Good luck, I hope you can pick up a few nice ones.

For anyone that wants it, here is a link to an Alaska game and fish guide on how to fillet a burbot. It worked really well and goes slow enough to show you in detail.

[url "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zWORf4OEVE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zWORf4OEVE[/url]
[signature]
Well that exceeding news I guess I'm going have to try the buckboard
[signature]