Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Falls Reservior Ice ????
Any body got a report on the ice conditions? Chesterfield, Ririe, Mackay, Shelley Pond all have their short comings. Need good ice with good fishing, desperate to fish.[mad]
[signature]
6-7 inches at sportsman park, but really slow fishing.
[signature]
What types of fish are in AF? I know there's carp and smallmouth, shot a bunch of mirrors there, just under a 1000 lbs. too be exact.... [cool]
Matt
[signature]
fished it saturday for a few hrs at big hole, caught a few small ones and a bunch of nibbles, 2 nice rainbows (one 18" with good girth, one 24" not so much girth, post-spawn female). ice was decent, about 3-5". weather warmed up since then so thinking ice is now unsafe tho Undecided
[signature]
Rainbow, cutts, browns, perch, suckers, chub I've caught personally in addiion. Heard of but never seen largemouth and crappie. It has the potential to be a spectacular fishery if the water level wouldn't fluctuate so much every year, but farmers seem to think they need all that water to get make a living.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Looking at the map, Big Hole has three sportsman access points. Was it the sportsman county park with the boat dock or one of the other two north accesses? The map also shows the Snake and Portneuf river beds join just a little distance from the boat dock. Might be a good spot if I could find it.

Last winter some guys at Ririe were telling me about fishing in the deep water by the dam. They were fishing in 50-80 ft of water. They were saying a few big fish (4-6 lbs) were caught but it was slow. Have you fished that area?

I live in Idaho Falls so the Big Hole would be closer. May go this week, so directions would be helpful.
[signature]
no idea on a confluence of the snake and portneuf beds but big hole is pretty easy to get to. Doubt itll snow by then but if it does you'll need to make sure u have 4x4 for the little bit of offroading ull do lol. if you come into aberdeen and head towards sportsmans park, just before you enter sportsmans there is a little unimproved gravel road, go north and at about the beginning of the turn on that street (about a 1/4 mile or so from where you turned off at sportsmans) ull go offroad. its impossible to miss there tracks. if your afraid ull get lost, pm me and ill get u my number. be careful tho, the ice wasnt great when i went last week and the weather has been ice damning so doubt ull have any good ice to walk on
[signature]
Appreciate the info. It'll be next week before I can get there, since I'm gong to
Bozeman this weekend. Plan to fish with my son at Canyon Ferry on Thurs &
Fri.

Enjoy walking on water.
[signature]
American Falls Res. Will always be Too Big. To ever figure out. Just fish a spot that the wind stops, for a few.

ice on

Idaho
[signature]
So about that slow fishing I was telling you about earlier. I finally pulled the handle enough times on the af machine. I'll bet I've put in 35-40 hours on the ice this winter and this is the first fish I've landed over 20". Lots of luck mixed with very little know.
[signature]
Nice fish was that at the big hole and how much ice is out there
[signature]
I guess, I am going Funky side.

Never Know.

ice on

Idaho
[signature]