Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishlake 1/7
Made a trip down to Fishlake this morning. We found 4 inches of clear slick ice out from the south marina. It was a bit "puckery" going out, but we drilled holes on the way and continued to find 4 inches of ice out to beyond the weed bed (didn't go farther than that). We were in 34' of water and fishing was steady for splake, rainbow and perch. The weather was beautiful, sunny and without wind. It did get a little warm and by the time we left at 12:30 - the surface of the ice was getting pretty wet. Hopefully it will get colder during the night and the wind will stay away so the ice can increase. There was one other group that joined us. We also saw a group on the far south opaque ice. After fishing we took a drive to look at the ice farther north. Up near Twin Creeks, the ice looked pretty sketchy and there was open water up near Joe's Bush. There was another group on some opaque ice north of Joe's Bush.

The first two photos are looking north from our fishing location and looking back to the south marina. In the third photo, I know the ice doesn't look 4 inches but it really is - I measured it. The last photo shows ducks on open water out from Joe's Bush. Enjoy.
[signature]
Very cool. I'm jealous! Pucker factor is always high on clear ice like that (even when you know that 4 inches is plenty safe). Did you take the ice skates? =)

Thanks for the pics and report.
[signature]
Brooke
Thanks for the report. I think we might hold off for a week or two. Love the fishing buddy on the ice sled. Clean looking setup
[signature]
Ice skates would have worked fine - it was slick enough. I would wait for a little more ice to skate however. We moved pretty slow, worrying about thin spots.
[signature]
Puckery, indeed. Looks terrifying!!![Image: happy.gif]

Could you see fish swimming around under the ice?
[signature]
Most of the fish were coming in on the bottom, so we could not see them initially. However when they would get within about 15 feet while reeling them up, you could see them coming. It was great fun.
[signature]
So what were the conditions like south of Joes bush?
[signature]
That's scary looking even if it is 4". Its funny how much more secure you feel with a little snow on top
[signature]
I agree. A little bit of snow on top tricks my brain in to thinking that I'm not walking on top of a death trap.

Thanks for the report. I sure would like to go down there this weekend but I'm skeered! It's not the long drive, it's getting there and finding out the ice is not safe until I'm out on the ice.
[signature]
South of Joe's Bush to Twin Creeks, there was some thin ice closer to shore (not sure the actual depth - too thin to attempt walking) with open water out farther. South of Twin Creeks it was pretty much capped, but fairly thin there as well. As for actually measuring the ice thickness, I stayed closer to the south marina.
[signature]
That clear ice is deceptive - because you can see all the cracks and what you know is 4 inches, by cutting a hole and measuring, looks more like an inch. With the snow on top, it looks like you are on cement - walking on the sidewalk.
[signature]